Advice on first tour in Spain

Chuns

KeithR - 2016-10-31 8:16 PM

I have to admit, Brian, that I had good weather on that particular route last year, and I do try to keep my speed up (when my director of transport isn't looking). my normal driving choice is to leave around 10, stop after 2 hours driving for an hours lunch and fresh air in a handy village/town, then 2 more hours drivng and look for an aire around 3ish. Bad weather would definately slow one down, but personally in that situation I usually find no good reason for long stops. the clock goes out the window and I drive, eat, rest as I require. end up driving more hours but get to better weather quickly.l I aimed for Benidorm as it is the nearest point on the Costas where Chuns could expect winter warmth. the costa Brava sites are mostly closed, and as you say, it would take a little longer to get down via Malaga and to (potentially) warmer weather. of course you do hit the coast before Benidorm, but I don't know that area very well.

Chuns, if you go Malaga way, I think the most popular stop is the campsite at Aranjuez near Madrid.

lovely town (lots off bodegas) and public transport into Madrid. :-S

An alternative is to go Portsmouth- Santander then down through Burgos to Aranjuez to the Costas-this is the way we are going in January so if you want to tag along let me know. Only half-day travelling at a time and plenty to see/do en route-so easy drive to the sun!

Mike

HI,ALL,we always go by boat down to santander (we have a Brit ferries club card save 30% ) no way in Jan would i go down by way of France one Word on that Snow?very very cold.from there take motor way to Burgos to Madrid but stop at La Cabrera time 3-4 hrs drive stop camp site there,from the site back down the road to the hotel food beer bed next day down and round Madrid all motor way then down to the A31 then take your pick from there,AND best part no toll motorway costs all the way down. We go to the Costa Blanca why low rain not to cold sun.Can i just say it as been said if you look at the cost and time to go for a few weeks costs are high so more weeks lower costs.

Bojitoes - 2016-11-02 2:01 PM

A few days before Mike- 11th, - see you on the way down maybe?

Have a good trip

Bob

Yep-depending on how long you stay at Aranjuez we may see you there. If not we are heading for Guardamar for a month to start with-where are you heading?

Safe journey

Mike

Portsmouth Santander is definitely the best way to go for me. Very relaxing on the boat and apart from once the Bay has been like a mill pond. As has been mentioned the Burgos-Madrid route is probably the best of all as there is more choice for stopovers. As regards temperatures we find that the Benidorm area comes out tops as it is protected by the surrounding mountains. One way of realising this is to take the train from Benidorm to Denia for a day trip and you will soon notice how much cooler it is. Also we found that once you leave the Benidorm area it becomes far more expensive to eat out. Some may frown as soon as the word Benidorm is mentioned but from experience we find it a very sociable place with more than plenty going on. You don't have to go into the very lively areas there are plenty of quieter places to visit. Enjoy.

rolandrat - 2016-11-02 8:41 PM

Portsmouth Santander is definitely the best way to go for me. Very relaxing on the boat and apart from once the Bay has been like a mill pond. As has been mentioned the Burgos-Madrid route is probably the best of all as there is more choice for stopovers. As regards temperatures we find that the Benidorm area comes out tops as it is protected by the surrounding mountains. One way of realising this is to take the train from Benidorm to Denia for a day trip and you will soon notice how much cooler it is. Also we found that once you leave the Benidorm area it becomes far more expensive to eat out. Some may frown as soon as the word Benidorm is mentioned but from experience we find it a very sociable place with more than plenty going on. You don't have to go into the very lively areas there are plenty of quieter places to visit. Enjoy.

Which camp site would you recommend in Benidorm, Roland?

we stayed at Arena Blanca once. Was not that impressed . Do like it fairly flat, and not to far away from civilisation.

PJay

PJay - 2016-11-03 10:14 PM

rolandrat - 2016-11-02 8:41 PM

Which camp site would you recommend in Benidorm, Roland?

we stayed at Arena Blanca once. Was not that impressed . Do like it fairly flat, and not to far away from civilisation.

PJay

The sites in Benidorm are generally full over the winter. Hopefully someone staying in Benidorm at the moment will pick this thread up and comment. We used Villasol frequently which is fairly flat and walkable to the town, shops, restaurants, market and beach. We have stayed at others but found Villasol to be the best.

Archived