Any sites near a London Underground Station.

paul_richardson

Hi Guys,

We are planning a trip to London in the 'van and I'm sure I read somewhere of a site near an underground station.

This would be perfect as we have a few new places we would like to visit in London (including The Shard and the Olympic Park) and one of the Underground day tickets would be the perfect was to get around them all.

So if anyone know the site I would love to get the details for it.

Regards,

Paul

Hi

I used to live near the Abbey Wood Caravan Club site which is 10 minute walk from Abbey Wood station with 4 services an hour to London (25 min journey). Great site with keycode operated gate and Alcatraz type fencing to keep any undesirables out not that i ever found the area that bad when I lived there. Easy access to A2 and M20 or M25.

If you need any more info just post or PM me.

John

yes, Abbey Wood is great, we often stay there.

Or try Crystal Palace....its a short walk across the old Palace grounds to the railway station, regular overground trains to Vitoria or London Brdge, or you can catch no3 bus a few mins walk from site, and that takes you either to the west end, or change at Brixton onto the Underground and use that to get almost everywhere. We also use that quite often.

If you want anymore help, PM me.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, looks like we have a few to choose from, but I've just checked the Abbey Wood site and they are full for the time we would prefer.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Another question while I think about it, does anywhere let you park on site on the day you checkout, if we could do that we could get two days in London for our two night stay.

Thanks again,

Paul

paul_richardson - 2016-10-30 2:17 PM

Another question while I think about it, does anywhere let you park on site on the day you checkout, if we could do that we could get two days in London for our two night stay.

Thanks again,

Paul

Once upon a time ( when the caravan club thought about its members first!) the sites were flexible on time of arrival and departure.

Now don't dare arrive before the dreaded 12 oclock time, or want to stay later than that...in effect limiting us Motorhomers a great deal, and even though there is normally space available, they cannot break the 'rules'....and common sense no longer prevails.

its worth calling the site direct to see if there is actually any space, even if the computer shows full..and also ask whether you can leave the vehicle on the 'late night' area, until a bit later in the day- some wardens are still very helpful.

The CC management keep stating its' 'wish' to mak ethe club more friendly to Motorhomers, as we are now in a majority of new members, but in reality seem very reluctant to actually do anything sensible....

Another reason why we prefer French ties - you dont need to book in advance, youcan arrive at whatever time you want, leave when you want, and only pay when you decided to move on! That's not going to appply to the French 4-6 weeks peak holiday of course, but personally I am happy to leave that time of year to the French anyway!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your input.

We eventually found a Caravan Club Certified Location at Aldborough Hall Farm in Ilford.

The site was 20 mins walk from Newbury Park Central Line Underground station.

The owner MRS S A RUDGE said that we could arrive any time that suited us, and that on the day of departure we could leave any time that suited us.

As it is a CL, there is no toilet/shower block, but there is Fresh water, Electric Hook up, Chemical Toilet and Grey water disposal point (not drive over).

There is a pup/restaurant next door and it cost us £14.00 a night, we loved it.

Regards,

Paul

paul_richardson - 2016-11-29 9:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your input.

We eventually found a Caravan Club Certified Location at Aldborough Hall Farm in Ilford.

The site was 20 mins walk from Newbury Park Central Line Underground station.

The owner MRS S A RUDGE said that we could arrive any time that suited us, and that on the day of departure we could leave any time that suited us.

As it is a CL, there is no toilet/shower block, but there is Fresh water, Electric Hook up, Chemical Toilet and Grey water disposal point (not drive over).

There is a pup/restaurant next door and it cost us £14.00 a night, we loved it.

Regards,

Paul

Yes it's a great site. Ideal for getting into London from Newbury Park and a decent pub next door. Last year it was £10 a night. You can also park on the hard standing if the grass is to wet.

Archived