Insurance cover when changing vehicles

sakofox

I normally sell one vehicle and then insure the new vehicle when I buy it. This time I will be driving the current vehicle to the dealer and driving home the new vehicle. My question is do you get the new vehicle put on the existing insurance assuming you know the reg etc , do you get a cover note from the insurers, or do you insure the new vehicle separately?

sakofox - 2016-10-30 8:03 AM

I normally sell one vehicle and then insure the new vehicle when I buy it. This time I will be driving the current vehicle to the dealer and driving home the new vehicle. My question is do you get the new vehicle put on the existing insurance assuming you know the reg etc , do you get a cover note from the insurers, or do you insure the new vehicle separately?

In order to drive the new vehicle home from the dealer the new vehicle will be required to be taxed. In order to tax a vehicle insurance will be required. So you will have to insure and tax the new vehicle before you drive it home. Indeed any reputable car dealer will require this to be done before the vehicle is released.

As Mike says. The new van will have to be taxed by the dealer, usually . So get the reg no from them and transfer ins as at the date you collect.

When we bought our van new, we got to choose the reg no from a list

Good luck with new van

PJay

The Dealer needs to be able to prove that the vehicle is insured in order to tax it, so they will want you to provide some paperwork if you want it taxed so you can drive it home.  But last time I swapped a vehicle my insurance company were very helpful and had a 30 day overlap facility (i.e. both vehicles were covered) for a modest fee.  Anyway the Dealer will know how to make this work for you so it shouldn't be a problem.

when I bought my new van last year I had a long journey to pick it up. my insurer just changed my insurance from one van to the other. both vans were insured for that day (at no extra cost) as I would be driving one van down, and the other one back. I don't see any problem?

If you are not changing insurer, they will agree a time eg 12 noon for changeover or will simply insure both for one day.

Alternatively, the dealer may have arrangements with an insurer to provide 7 days free insurance (helps them with taxing etc). This form of 'drive away' insurance is fairly common now.

Archived