south via costa brava

KeithR

heading to spain/morocco after christmas, but its been a few years since we headed south via Perpignan as opposed to biarritz/madrid and wondered if anyone knew any good campsites on the costa brava still open in January. or any good overnight stops.

is it still okay to overnight at the sports centre carpark near the beach at Blanes??

is it still possible to park in front off the beach at salou??(they used to open the carpark barrier)

and Pensacola seafront seems to be okay, not okay from one season to the next??? whats the latest??

I have acsi but recommendations by other motorhomers are always a mine off useful information.

help or not, thanks anyway

*-)

You hit it on the head right there. It's never the same from one year to the next. Parking should still be available at Playa D'Aro but can be full up by December. There are 2 newish aires around Palamos. one inbetween Palamos and La Fosca and one on the St Antoni de Colonge road, about 5€ a night, Also one a Sant Feliu de Guixols near the bus station, plus more further down. Just one point The area is notorious for break-ins and not just 'vans. No amount of security will stop them. A shame as it is a beautiful place. Peniscola has changed a bit .there are two aires sign posted. about 12€ a night No overnight parking on the sea front or the bus/coach station near the port/marina. Enjoy Morocco, not so much free parking there now but cheap enough. What I don't understand is why it cost so much on the 7 miles you travel on the ferry, and why they try to pack you into tiny "campsites" like sardines in a tin when the country is so vast *-) It might be a French thing :-)

keninpalamos - 2016-10-30 10:30 AM

You hit it on the head right there. It's never the same from one year to the next. Parking should still be available at Playa D'Aro but can be full up by December. There are 2 newish aires around Palamos. one inbetween Palamos and La Fosca and one on the St Antoni de Colonge road, about 5€ a night, Also one a Sant Feliu de Guixols near the bus station, plus more further down. Just one point The area is notorious for break-ins and not just 'vans. No amount of security will stop them. A shame as it is a beautiful place. Peniscola has changed a bit .there are two aires sign posted. about 12€ a night No overnight parking on the sea front or the bus/coach station near the port/marina

Have they stopped the overnighters, along the sea front? We used to see them there, when we stayed at Eden

Eden being the site best placed for the beach and town.

PJay

PJay - 2016-10-30 10:43 AM

keninpalamos - 2016-10-30 10:30 AM

You hit it on the head right there. It's never the same from one year to the next. Parking should still be available at Playa D'Aro but can be full up by December. There are 2 newish aires around Palamos. one inbetween Palamos and La Fosca and one on the St Antoni de Colonge road, about 5€ a night, Also one a Sant Feliu de Guixols near the bus station, plus more further down. Just one point The area is notorious for break-ins and not just 'vans. No amount of security will stop them. A shame as it is a beautiful place. Peniscola has changed a bit .there are two aires sign posted. about 12€ a night No overnight parking on the sea front or the bus/coach station near the port/marina

Have they stopped the overnighters, along the sea front? We used to see them there, when we stayed at Eden

Eden being the site best placed for the beach and town.

PJay

Eden is normally very crowded and heavily shaded but it is brilliantly placed for the beach and promenade. The original question asked about parking at Salou. The popular parking place was on the seafront at Cambrills just along the road from Salou (the two resorts merge) but that was banned some years ago. There is a campsite on the southern edge of the beach at Cambrills but again is very shaded.

I will say yes the last time i was there... but as stated things change from season to season so the best way to find out is give it a try. You might be ok for a night or two or more. Like most camper parking it changes from month to month along the costas. The signs may say no caravanners but if it's just one or two they don't bother unless someone complains and you get issued with one of the late generals "Denouncia's. A Spainish friend of mine has had over 30 over the years so don't take personally :-D

thanks for your replies, ill certainly take a note of them for the trip down. the wild beach camping we did in salou was about 10 years ago so is perhaps just a pleasant memory now!

yes, it is expensive for the morocco ferry, but amazingly it seems never to have change! we first used it in 2007 and it was euro 190, and in 2014 and 2015 it was euro 200. I have a flyer offering it for euro200 again this year!!! I was okay turning the van on the ferry, but my new van is a bit longer so I'm not too keen on the idea!! still, the campsites may well be quite empty as last year the french were advised not to go so most of them seemed to try spain and portugal!! I wonder if they were advised not to go to paris or brussels????

I will google map the costa brava stopovers mentioned as I'm sure I will use some of them after leaving france at le boulou.

KeithR - 2016-10-30 11:34 AM

thanks for your replies, ill certainly take a note of them for the trip down. the wild beach camping we did in salou was about 10 years ago so is perhaps just a pleasant memory now!

yes, it is expensive for the morocco ferry, but amazingly it seems never to have change! we first used it in 2007 and it was euro 190, and in 2014 and 2015 it was euro 200. I have a flyer offering it for euro200 again this year!!! I was okay turning the van on the ferry, but my new van is a bit longer so I'm not too keen on the idea!! still, the campsites may well be quite empty as last year the french were advised not to go so most of them seemed to try spain and portugal!! I wonder if they were advised not to go to paris or brussels????

I will google map the costa brava stopovers mentioned as I'm sure I will use some of them after leaving france at le boulou.

Ref. Boulou,You still have to have one leg shorter that the other there and I think the service unit for the aire has been removed, I could be wrong. There is an Aire in Pezenas town centre, Tree lined by the river but no services again. just off the A75 before Beziers

Archived