Wiper Trouble

Fiat Ducato

Hi forum

I have a 1997 Fiat Ducato 1.9TD Motorhome, been left standing for a while. The wiper mechanism gear seized solid so when my boys were playing in the cab they knocked the lever on. And as a result the motor starting smoking and almost caught fire.

I purchased a brand new replacement wiper motor. And fitted it, now MOT is due and having problems with adjusting it just right. First tried removing the wiper arms and changing the position on the splines, then re-tightened them back down. That didn't work, so then removed the pivot arm thats conencted to the motor, then adjusted my wipers to the correct position then attached the pivot arm again. Still no joy.

What seems to be happening, not sure if it's meant to do or it's fault. when you switch the wipers on, they wipe and return to rest position in the horizontal position on my windscreen close to the bottom (normal) then before the next wipe, the wiper arms decide to go down first a slight bit before in the forward motion. So after setting the wipers in what I class as the normal position, they then go too low hitting the bottom of the windscreen scuttle.

It's baffling me, been outside playing around with them for about an hour or so and just can't get them to lay in the correct position.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it's me just been thick and it's a simple fix. Fingers crossed

Re-attach the motor pivot arm with the motor in the stop position and wipers arms at lowest point they can go. Then re-adjust the wiper arms to the correct height. On later models there are dots on the windscreen for the wiper rest positions, I do not know if they have them on a 1997 model but would think they do. Then wipers will sweep correctly.

Just a quick update

I've now got the wipers working and resting in the correct position on the windscreen, however through all my efforts I have now created another issue now. My intermittent setting as stopped working along with the automatic stop. I now have to park the wipers by judging the timing.

aandncaravan - 2016-11-02 5:41 PM

If it's a Hymer, that might now be a fault in the wiper relay? It would have passed a huge amount of current to burn out the Motor?

No it's a Auto Roller, and that was my first thought, relay. What is weird is that there is a small fuse box in the glove compartment, a few fuses etc near the battery mainly for the fridge, leisure battery etc. But can't see any relays anywhere. Looked in all the obvious places, even under the dash as in some of my old vehicles you have a removable panel in the lower dash for other fuses and relays.

Brambles - 2016-11-02 8:35 AM

Is this all just a wind up? Get the impression it is.

NO why would you say that? this 100% serious, can't the bloody wipers to work correctly even after hours of tinkering about with the the wiper arms, motor and the mechanism. Infact I'd say I've made it worse as like I said now they don't work on intermittent or automatic stop like they did before. Bought and fitted a brand new wiper motor. Pis*ed off with it to be honest.

Just hope my van gets through the MOT in the morning.

Fiat Ducato - 2016-11-02 9:19 PM

Brambles - 2016-11-02 8:35 AM

Is this all just a wind up? Get the impression it is.

NO why would you say that? this 100% serious, can't the bloody wipers to work correctly even after hours of tinkering about with the the wiper arms, motor and the mechanism. Infact I'd say I've made it worse as like I said now they don't work on intermittent or automatic stop like they did before. Bought and fitted a brand new wiper motor. Pis*ed off with it to be honest.

Just hope my van gets through the MOT in the morning.

Do not know why I said this...not like me at all. Must have misunderstood the post or more likely too much wine. Sorry.

Archived