Anyone recommend good cheap insurance?

Fiat Ducato

lennyhb - 2016-11-04 3:43 PM

Been with Comfort 5 or 6 years premium rarely goes up by much more than a tenner, year before last it went down a couple of quid. They are the only insurance company I have found that don't hike the premiums once they have got your business.

Caravan Guard are discriminatory and must be in league with dealers as they refuse to insure personal imports. A bit odd as we are supposed to be in a common market (for the time being).

Lenny

This has been my experience with Scenic too. One year i did get a better quote elsewhere......but it was only a fiver less!! Anyway i phoned Scenic back and told them and they ran through everything again as their quote by then was over a week ago. They came back with ten quid off so i didn't hesitate.

I've had Comfort in the past but since being with Scenic have found them hard to beat.....but thats for me and where i live. It wouldn't surprise me if you ran a quote through them if it came out higher than what you have with Comfort. It's very much a post code lottery.

I was insured with Scenic when we first had a van, they are part of Swinton and in the same office as their sister company Safeguard.

I changed from Scenic when I found out their policy is only a modified car policy not a proper Motorhome policy and would only cover audio equipment up to £500 and wouldn't cover the sat dish.

A few years ago I was in their offices (contract work) and I met the lady that runs Safeguard she explained the differences in the policies now I will only take out proper Motorhome polices. Things you don't relise, like if you have a gas explosion most of the car policies won't pay out. Too bigger risk to take with the cost of vans these days.

lennyhb - 2016-11-05 11:51 AM

I was insured with Scenic when we first had a van, they are part of Swinton and in the same office as their sister company Safeguard.

I changed from Scenic when I found out their policy is only a modified car policy not a proper Motorhome policy and would only cover audio equipment up to £500 and wouldn't cover the sat dish.

A few years ago I was in their offices (contract work) and I met the lady that runs Safeguard she explained the differences in the policies now I will only take out proper Motorhome polices. Things you don't relise, like if you have a gas explosion most of the car policies won't pay out. Too bigger risk to take with the cost of vans these days.

Yes i know and i've been with Safeguard too, in fact they were my first insurer! After my first year with Scenic, on renewal i called Safeguard for a quote but their figure was ludicrous and completely out of the frame. I thought i might have got a good quote as a "new" customer but i was wrong.

I don't know about the car/mh policy issue or gas explosions. I would imagine any insurance company to provide cover according to the make/model and type of vehicle stated on the V5 doc and cover it correctly....bearing in mind they also rely as much on the honesty of the policy holder applying just as much as they rely on the professionalism and knowledge of the companies. I can't see any respectable company attempting to dodge a claim on a £50k motorhome write off by claiming it's a 10 year old car so not really a motorhome!

As for a 500 quid audio.....that's a hellishly expensive piece of ICE audio equipment! The Pioneer radio with CD/USB coupled to Alpine speakers i installed myself is more than capable of blasting out Pink Floyd at full bore if so desired.....and cost a tad over £100 including new wiring, Ford>Pioneer ISO connector fly lead, speaker fly leads, sound matting, and screws to batten mount (self made).

My telly cost more but even with the audio equipment, comes in at well under 500 quid, and yes my tv is declared on my insurance so they even know the make/model of that!

vino - 2016-11-02 5:39 PM

Whilst I can see some good recommendations can anyone let me know who can offer more than 180 days away but not fulltime and match that with the need for house insurance. Am having problem getting more than 60 days house insurance when left empty. Many thanks

yes Vino, the camping and caravanning club does what you need

Jonathan

Bulletguy - 2016-11-05 3:05 PM

As for a 500 quid audio.....that's a hellishly expensive piece of ICE audio equipment! The Pioneer radio with CD/USB coupled to Alpine speakers i installed myself is more than capable of blasting out Pink Floyd at full bore if so desired.....and cost a tad over £100 including new wiring, Ford>Pioneer ISO connector fly lead, speaker fly leads, sound matting, and screws to batten mount (self made).

My telly cost more but even with the audio equipment, comes in at well under 500 quid, and yes my tv is declared on my insurance so they even know the make/model of that!

My Clarion Stereo cost £550 and I bought it from Germany saving over £100 also it was a slightly older model being sold at half price add to that the TV @£200 & satellite dish a cheap snipe @£700.

The van I had insured with Scenic had an Oyster sat system, that alone was £2300 bit of a shock to find it wasn't insured that is why I changed.

Archived