Garmin apps

Barcobird

Recently purchasing a Garmin 760lmt I decided to put it through its paces in preparation for the arrival of our home.

One of the apps on it is Motorhomefun, so I selected one of their destinations Park Rural Caldas de Monchique. We spent a pleasant hour driving there and the sat nav behaved faultlessly and then announced "you have arrived at your destination"!

According to their general information it has 14 pitches, laundry, toilets service point, just about everything you could want!

Big problem, there's nothing there! I had a job to get round in a car.

Has anyone used this app on their Garmin and how did you find it, more importantly has anyone else tried finding this particular campsite?

Small campsites have a tendency to close down and disappear. I had this problem in Bulgaria where a few i had the co-ordinates for (off a website), had long closed down but when they do people fail to pass information on and small website owners are often very poor in keeping them maintained.

It seems it was still operating five months ago as someone posted this on Google reviews

"The owner of this place called me Fou, which means crazy. This person is very rude and doesn't know about hospitality. I went over there with an estate car. I wanted to stay the night on a parking spot so I could sleep in my car. No troubles. But he didn't let me. Worst experience I had in years. I'm at another campsite now and there it was no problem to sleep in the car. I can't recommend this place at all."

Thank you all for replying and I appreciate and realize there is a camp site in Monchique and this is obviously the one we should have headed for. The point I am trying to make is that MHF on the Garmin 760, which is for motorhomes etc have sent me to the wrong destination. It's ok sat at home googling sites, nothing much to lose, however when you pick a specific campsite out on the road you expect your satnav to take you there

Then i'd contact Garmin and tell them. Either they have been given the wrong co-ords or have put the wrong one in themselves. Mistakes like this need reporting otherwise they won't ever get rectified.

But as posted before, it looks like you didn't miss much by not stopping there!

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but surely Motorhomefun isn't an 'app' provided by Garmin but rather a set of POIs (points of interest) provided by MHF that you or someone else has loaded onto your Garmin?

In that case the innacuracy that you mention with regard to Monchique would have nothing to do with Garmin themselves and any positional error that you've found would need correcting by MHF in their POI set and then the POI set reloading upon your Garmin.

Barcobird

It’s unrealistic to expect Garmin (or any other sat-nav manufacturer) to vet the pin-point accuracy of the data relating to every Point of Interest in a database that the company has been provided with.

It would seem from what’s been said above that the campsite existed until quite recently, and the GPS coordinates Brian Kirby provided accurately identify the campsite on GOOGLE Maps as shown here:

http://www.promobil.de/stellplatz/Vale-da-Carrasqueira-4644.html

though I note that the website address that’s quoted for this campsite appears to be ‘dead’.

I believe you’ll find that the “MHF” directory on your Garmin sat-nav was provided by “MotorHomeFacts”, not “MotorHomeFun”

http://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-camper-760lmt-d.htm

so if the GPS coordinates for this Portuguese campsite are wrong (which seems probable) you’d best tell MotorHomeFacts about it as well as Garmin. (You should be able to check easily enough what coordinates are recorded on your sat-nav for the campsite.)

I think it’s amazing that a quite cheap navigation device stuck on a vehicle dashboard does so well and - although it can be infuriating when ‘misrouting’ happens, or the device’s logic seems loopy - the vast majority of the time a sat-nav is a godsend.

My house is accessed via a narrow no-through-road lane. My current Garmin sat-nav and its Garmin predecessor will both guide me logically and accurately from my house on to a main road about a mile away. However, when returning, about 400 metres from my house both sat-navs advise a right turn (that’s possible but wrong) followed by a trip on a non-existent road across a field. There’s plainly something cock-eyed about this as, if the sat-nav ‘knows’ the correct route from my house to the main road, one might reasonably expect it to be able to retrace the same route to my house from the main road. I’ve tried fiddling with the sat-navs’ options to cure this aberrant behaviour, but without success.

Steve928 - 2016-11-02 8:09 AM

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but surely Motorhomefun isn't an 'app' provided by Garmin but rather a set of POIs (points of interest) provided by MHF that you or someone else has loaded onto your Garmin?

In that case the innacuracy that you mention with regard to Monchique would have nothing to do with Garmin themselves and any positional error that you've found would need correcting by MHF in their POI set and then the POI set reloading upon your Garmin.

Very good point Steve, I assumed MHF was a Garmin (out of the box) app but now you mention it I assume the last owner downloaded it himself. Therefore I think for future reference with this app I need to double check the destinations or not use it at all.

As you say Derek, they are an amazing piece of kit and like a lot if things "taken for granted" that they get your there, however they are only as accurate as the information fed into them.

Obviously on this occasion the wrong coordinates were loaded. I will notify Motorhome facts.

I have the Garmin 760 and after a difficult beginning (when I nearly flung it out of the window) it settled down and behaved itself.

However ........ whenever we go anywhere near Falkirk, it turns into an episode of The X Files for some reason. 8-) Even inputting coordinates can lead to 'interesting routes' and 'surprise arrivals'. :D

As a result of my last trip around that area, I have had to polish the entire nearside of my van. As it is an 8.2 metre Tag Axle vehicle ....... we are not amused. :'(

Barcobird - 2016-11-02 8:27 AM

...I assumed MHF was a Garmin (out of the box) app but now you mention it I assume the last owner downloaded it himself. Therefore I think for future reference with this app I need to double check the destinations or not use it at all.

Garmin’s advertising for the “Camper 760LMT-D” model

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/camper/previous_models_rv/camper-760lmt-d/prod135455.html

says that the device has "Camper specific directories (ACSI and MHF) with search filter”.

So every new 760LMT-D sat-nav will come pre-loaded with the MHF POI database.

I have the 660lmd-t version of this Garmin and have used the MHF data recently whilst in Scotland and it was fine on that occasion. However whilst it knew where the Morrisons Supermarket was in Fort William it tried to direct me into the Railway Station Car Par instead of the Stores Car Park.

Somehow I completely lost the MHF and ACSI POI files and was advised by Garmin that to recover them I had to reinstall the map as they incorporated within the Map download. They do not appear as seperate files in the POI folder on the unit.

From memory a few years ago the then owner of MHFacts mentioned to me that he was in discussion with Garmin and I assume that this facility on the Camper units is the result. I am not aware you can download it as a seperate POI file from MHFacts or elsewhere and have no idea if Garmin maintain it with corrections or additions.

Doug

Derek Uzzell - 2016-11-02 8:19 AM

My house is accessed via a narrow no-through-road lane. My current Garmin sat-nav and its Garmin predecessor will both guide me logically and accurately from my house on to a main road about a mile away. However, when returning, about 400 metres from my house both sat-navs advise a right turn (that’s possible but wrong) followed by a trip on a non-existent road across a field. There’s plainly something cock-eyed about this as, if the sat-nav ‘knows’ the correct route from my house to the main road, one might reasonably expect it to be able to retrace the same route to my house from the main road. I’ve tried fiddling with the sat-navs’ options to cure this aberrant behaviour, but without success.

Derek,

I disagree that your Grarmin Satnav or any Satnav should find your house in a field. I go to many events in fields and am always guided accurately to the gate but never the happening itself.

The Post office would deliver mail and you are provided with electric etc as that information would be accessed from land registry etc.

When leaving I'm usually told go to nearest road, or when there is a faint track (like yours) I'm automatically guided to that, and then a recognised road.

I assume that's how you leave your house, because the designated road system overrides your house in a field. Your house has no observational value and will therefore not be guided to it.

Will

Derek Uzzell - 2016-11-02 8:19 AM

I have come across similar oddities.

If for an example you ask your Garmin to create a route from 11 London Road Gravesend to 9 Pescot Avenue New Barn it will provide you with a very direct suitable route between the two. However if you then ask it to do the reverse route it takes a major detour rather than go back the same way.

Generally on major roads on long runs our Garmin is ok however in our area locally it does some really poor routing and so I have to assume likely to be doing similarly elsewhere. It even routes me through a shopping complex before returning to a junction it passed.

Will86 - 2016-11-02 12:11 PM

Derek,

I disagree that your Grarmin Satnav or any Satnav should find your house in a field...

Will

My house is not in a field nor accessed via a “faint track", its entrance is directly off a lane that is tarmaced and adopted and named by the County Council.

Leaving my house involves driving 200 metres down the lane and then turning left on to a wider road. 100 metres later a T-junction is reached where a left turn is made. Then, 100 metres on, I turn right (at another T-junction) instead of going straight on. Having turned right I continue for about a kilometre until I reach a main road. My Garmin sat-navs have no difficulty dealing with that route.

Returning home I drive the kilometre from the main road (Garmin sat-navs OK with this) until I reach the T-junction where I need to turn left. At this point (as I said in my posting) both sat-navs advise a right turn followed by a left turn (which ain’t there) followed by ‘off roading’.

As both Garmin sat-navs can guide me successfully from leaving my house entrance and through the left, left and right turns that follow, one might reasonably anticipate that the sat-navs would follow that route when returning to my house - but they do not.

Any ideas?

Barcobird - 2016-11-02 8:34 AM

As you say Derek, they are an amazing piece of kit and like a lot if things "taken for granted" that they get your there, however they are only as accurate as the information fed into them.

Obviously on this occasion the wrong coordinates were loaded. I will notify Motorhome facts.

hi, the MHF poi are mostly accurate, we have been using them on all are trips, but some are a fair distance away from the co ordinates we just use a bit of caution when we approach them and try and not get into tight spots LOL

Jonathan

silverback - 2016-11-03 8:23 PM

Barcobird - 2016-11-02 8:34 AM

hi, the MHF poi are mostly accurate, we have been using them on all are trips, but some are a fair distance away from the co ordinates we just use a bit of caution when we approach them and try and not get into tight spots LOL

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

Good job this was a practise session in a car, in in a Motorhome my reversing skills would have been tested to the limit. I don't understand why poi's should be anywhere other than on the co-ordinates. Does this mean I have to check out all sites on the internet before going to them? Or maybe just stick to the ACSI sites and books etc

All part of the learning process 8-)

Peter

Hi Peter, i think you were just unlucky and picked the wrong one ;-) we have probably stayed at 100 of them and probably 2 were wrong, *-) some are just sleep spots/ free camp/ layby types some are campsites, there is also an "A" on there these are the same, and they are from Archies campings poi, web page here

http://www.archiescampings.eu/ then most of the ACSI inspected sites are on there as well, as regards the co ordinates they are voluntry provided some people take them at the gate some people at the road end a mile away some people were they parked, you will get used to them and it lists them in terms of distance from where your present location is :-D

jonathan

ps, the ACSI co ordinates have been correct but we also use the book and the camperstops book as well

Barcobird - 2016-11-01 9:35 PM......................however when you pick a specific campsite out on the road you expect your satnav to take you there

With apologies, but only if you're an optimist! :-D

I have found many sets of co-ordinates misleading. Mainly because the provider (who will not be Garmin themselves) seemingly drove onto a site, thought it OK, but gave the co-ordinates from their pitch instead of from the entrance. Sat navs are only machines so, given co-ordinates that are off road, just take the road that gives the nearest approach, because they don't know where the site entrance actually is. It will get you close, but quite possibly on a road from which the site is not visible, so you have no idea where you should be.

This is relatively easy to correct with Garmin units if you download MapSource or BaseCamp from their website, and install the maps to your computer as well as your device, which will allow you to see the mapping on the PC (BaseCamp only if it's a Mac). You can then navigate to the coordinates you want on-screen, and can switch directly to the same spot in Google Earth and - if the coordinates are wrong, set your own POI for the entrance and then load that back to the device.

My personal preference is for devices that do not have the site info pre-loaded, for exactly this reason. I have a substantial collection of POIs that I check as above before leaving for places I wish to visit, correct as necessary, and then use for navigation. The advantage is that these POIs can be transferred to any Garmin device I may get, so the refinement process continues from one to the next.

I'd also urge caution if using the coordinates in the ACSI guides as some of these share the same fault - though they are much improved over their earlier attempts. It is just one of the several hazards of sat navs, I'm afraid.

nice one Brian, i forgot to mention basecamp software good piece of kit, just a couple of points, you dont have to use google maps unless you want an actual view, cos the mapping is on the sat nag, but i get your point for more accuracy, and basecamp can be downloaded for windows devices not just Mac's

Jonathan

Archived