Jockey wheels fitted to a-frames

nimpy1

If the frame was initially constructed to enable the use of a jockey wheel there should be a clamp on the side somewhere.....if there it's impossible to miss it.  So assuming yours doesn't have one you will need a clamp fitting to the frame.  Simples.

Hi

If it were SIMPLES !! You wouldn't have posted a valid question.

You can purchase the clamp and jockey wheel from Towsure or even on eBay. Quite easy to fit yourself or maybe by your local friendly garage

Good luck

Den

For examples of what's bits'n'pieces are available, have a look here;

http://www.trailertek.com/trailer-parts/jockey-wheels-spares

...BUT, as I don't suppose it'd be a very deep section, I'd be wary of letting just anyone drill holes through your drawbar.....

It'd probably be better if the tube-clamp could, be clamped on to the frame?

An arrangement something like this? http://www.towsure.com/jockey-wheel-clamp-on-fitting-kit

(although it doesn't show both, I'm assuming that's just two corresponding plates?)

..or would the above method interfere with any "folding" components?

Fitting Jockey wheel sounds a good idea. But your about to move away and you've got to think of something. Have you lifted the wheel off the ground and is it tight enough in its clamped up state. Maybe something to add to your pre-drive-away list on dash board. Do caravaners sometimes do this. You wonder when you see the wheel almost touching the road.

An alternative to a jockey wheel is to have a strap which holds the frame off the ground when needed.

I just hook a bungee to the back of the bonnet, loop it round the A frame and back to the bonnet.

I saw a variant recently where the owner had a strap from the crossmember under the bonnet to his A frame, it appeared to have a quick release plastic buckle on it.

There are situation, e.g. Single track road, where in order to reverse it is handy to be able to lift off the hitch and drive the toad out of the way with the 'A' frame sitting on a jockey wheel or lashed vertical.

It's so much faster than trying to reverse a trailer for 1/2 mile.

hi nimpy1,

It should be quite simple to fit, you could even try youtube for any guide they may show.

Just be sure before you buy which type of tyre you want,ie, solid plastic or pneumatic. The latter supposedly better performance in mud or loose ground. Due to cost you don't want to change your mind at a later date.

cheers

derek

keninpalamos - 2016-11-07 9:06 PM

For the life of me I can not see the point of a jockey wheel on an A frame to tow a car,,,though I dare say someone will tell me

Yes, i had one fitted to my Car-a-tow ,A-Frame, it allows you to just unhook from the towing vehicle and drive it carefully onto your pitch, the jockey wheel stops the frame from stopping this by digging in. Very usefull.

Have to be a very strong bungy cord with a Car-a-tow A-frame, it weighs 30kgs. Very robust, it is in effect a caravan A-frame, and just as strong, unlike many of the flimsy, light section ones i have seen about, some only attached to the cars towing eye, and an extra one tacked on. The Car-a-tow had a substanstial sub frame bolted to the front of the car( i know this, because i had to remove it when we downsized to a PVC) if you are going to have an A-Frame make it a strong one. With a jockey wheel.

Archived