Winter rally

Cy.G

Those with previous experience can I ask would we be wise to book ? Would we get a pitch anyway .

Alberfura / Spain preference looking at early new year crossing to Bilboa or Santander any views or advice welcomed .

Not new to MH but not been able to winter out of UK before.

Thank you

Hi, if you are talking about camping and caravanning club winter rallies, you can't just turn up the stewards can't book you in, still have to make a call to the club in uk, and if you don't book your crossing with them they charge an extra £75 booking fee, i have their winter sun guide book which again is £10 but redeemable if you book a rally,

We have decide not to go because our crossing is cheaper by using tesco vouchers than Thiers, so we would be charged the extra £75? Which grates a bit

Stewards on foreign rallies for CCC have been told not to accept anybody unless they have booked

via the club head office at coventry.Further unless you book crossing with them there is a charge, see comment above.Rip off in my opinion

I always feel that rallies , harp back to caravan holidays, and any way , why be "organised" when the whole idea of motorhoming is freedom , to come and go as you please

Maybe just me, but I hate to be organised, as to what I should do

Ok maybe for a first time abroad , though we just up and went

PJay

Compare prices very carefully. C&CC Rally prices are not invariably a "rip off".

We are on a site in Spain at the moment, and we booked directly with the site as the management awarded us some free time because of a mishap when we were last here.

There is a C&CC Rally on site. The price of the pitch booked directly is far higher (for the same length of time) than a booking for a C&CC Rally pitch. Had the site not honoured the free time promise, we considered booking a Rally pitch as even the £75 "no-ferry" fee, divided by the number of nights, and added to the Rally pitch price, is still much cheaper than the site's own fee.

fesspark - 2016-11-06 6:41 PM

Have been on sites in Spain when Rally,s are on and rip off is an understatement,The price the rally people Pay would last 6 months on a self booked camp site

Totally agree-can't see why anyone would go on a rally at the prices they charge-half the 'excursions' they put on are free anyway or about €7-10 at most! and all campsites put on a 'menu del dia' which is usually the Rally welcome meal!

Mike

Mike B. - 2016-11-10 10:06 PM

Have been on sites in Spain when Rally,s are on and rip off is an understatement,The price the rally people Pay would last 6 months on a self booked camp site

Totally agree-can't see why anyone would go on a rally at the prices they charge-half the 'excursions' they put on are free anyway or about €7-10 at most! and all campsites put on a 'menu del dia' which is usually the Rally welcome meal!

Mike

Cannot wholeheartedly agree.See my post above. Booking a "rally pitch" would have been far cheaper than the price which the site are charging at this time. (And no-one is forced to take part in excursions or welcome meals, or so I understand). Had the site we are on now not honoured their promise of some free time, then the price of the rally pitch would have been so much cheaper. This is real time pricing, as at now - November 10th 2016. One just needs to look carefully at prices.

Gwendolyn - 2016-11-10 11:56 PM

Mike

Cannot wholeheartedly agree.See my post above. Booking a "rally pitch" would have been far cheaper than the price which the site are charging at this time. (And no-one is forced to take part in excursions or welcome meals, or so I understand). Had the site we are on now not honoured their promise of some free time, then the price of the rally pitch would have been so much cheaper. This is real time pricing, as at now - November 10th 2016. One just needs to look carefully at prices.

Gwendolyn

Can you name the site, please. And is it full?

Thanks

PJay

For those who have never been across the channel before then I can understand the attraction of joining a group. However the rest are a pain. Two winters ago we were at Bonterra Park and some campers had to move pitch in order to accommodate a CC rally. Why would these people need to hold each others hands having arrived?

In this years CC brochure I see that they are advertising a rally to Bonterra Park in March. The cost is £1089 for a rig and two guests, no ferry or insurance included. For that price they have to get themselves all the way to and from Bonterra Park at their own expense, so all their £1089 is covering is their pitch and a few excursions on a coach. I call that a rip off. Worse still is that they will arrive for the last two weeks of our planned six week stay at the campsite. I do hope they don't ask me to move to accommodate them!

Hi-De-Hi

Mike

No but if you don't participate in the meals & excursions you don't get a discount-therefore the only thing you would get is your pitch as ferry isn't included. Take Bonterra €18 pn + electricity direct or 14 nights @ £1089.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Mike B. - 2016-11-14 7:40 PM

Mike

No but if you don't participate in the meals & excursions you don't get a discount-therefore the only thing you would get is your pitch as ferry isn't included. Take Bonterra €18 pn + electricity direct or 14 nights @ £1089.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

I don't understand your post. If you don't take part in excursions and meals you don't get a discount???? Not sure to what you refer. We have never ever taken part in excursions, or Rally meals if we have booked a "Rally pitch". If we do, we book on price alone, and if it suits. And we never join in Rally activities.

The point I made up-thread was that the price charged by our current site for the period of time that we are here is far more than the price we would pay if we were on the C&CC Rally currently present on site - and that takes into account the £75 charge for not having booked a crossing via the C&CC. It's only because the site has given us some free time that we have not booked a "Rally pitch".

Re Bonterra Park. We want to stay there for 7 nights shortly. ACSI rate is 19 Euros p.n., and if memory serves, you get allocated a pitch at the back of the site, under trees, with just 4amp EHU. It suited us to book via the CC (C&CC are no longer taking bookings) at £14.25 per night for that period of time, electricity included at a higher rate. At current exchange rates, that is less than the ACSI rate. And about on par with the site's rate? As we were booking a few sites for just a few nights at each it made sense to do it in one go. The price that you have quoted is not is not one we would pay. Yes, we do pay our money and make a choice. The one that suits us.

Just to add>>> FAO PJay above. Sorry for belated response. I don't use the internet every day on our travels. Currently at Camping Almafra.... and I cannot recommend it! We are here for 2 reasons - to meet friends, and because the site have given us some free time. There is plenty of room atm, but I gather that the site gets busy post Christmas. We like the location, with good access to public transport. Cannot like the site though. We will be moving on soon.

I was referring to the March rally with the Caravan Club versus direct booking and what you get for your money.

However not getting into a slanging match it was only an observation.

Bored with this now-off to surf some sites and book my winter holiday (direct!)

Mike

I was not getting into any "slanging match". What an odd thing to say. Originally, I posted to suggest to the OP, and the following few posts, that it is worth checking, as booking direct is not always cheaper that booking a rally pitch or via a club. Never did I mention the CC Rally at Bonterra Park and I was truly puzzled when that price for that event was mentioned. I've since had a look at the CC website. It does seem a little expensive. But I guess it caters for a demand.

The trip we are now on is a mix of sites booked direct; sites booked via CC; sites not booked at all.

snail - 2016-11-05 8:38 PM

Hi, if you are talking about camping and caravanning club winter rallies, you can't just turn up the stewards can't book you in, still have to make a call to the club in uk, and if you don't book your crossing with them they charge an extra £75 booking fee, i have their winter sun guide book which again is £10 but redeemable if you book a rally,

We have decide not to go because our crossing is cheaper by using tesco vouchers than Thiers, so we would be charged the extra £75? Which grates a bit

All this waffle about prices, it is easy enough to check and compare prices yourself and make up your own mind. I do agree the £75 is a rip off but why not book your winter crossing with the Club and save your Tescos vouchers for a summer trip?

peedee

I have just done a check myself on the costs of staying 4 weeks on a popular winter rally site.

Costs of site booking via the C&CC = £355,60

Cost using ACSI (28 x 19 euros) = 532 euros which at 1.10 euros =£1 is £483.64

Cost of booking direct with site = 518.89 euros which at 1.10 euro =£1 is £471.72

Therefore it is worth booking via the C&CC to the tune of saving £116.12 and your £75 fee for not booking a channel crossing is more than covered if you want to use Tescos vouchers!

peedee

Archived