Aires guides

Barcobird

Another question for you well informed travellers, we will be travelling through France Spain and Portugal

( to begin with) and will be using various Aires etc etc. Would we be better buying the Aires of France and the Aires of Portugal and Spain or the camper stop Europe. Do we need both, or do they duplicate each other if so which would be best ?

Opinions will be varied, as ever, but having travelled a lot for some 12 years without using sites we have found that a combination of the various Vicarious books Aires guides and Camperstop Euope to be as good a combination as any.

They do cost more than many guides but particularly the Vicarious books are easy to follow and about as accurate and up to date as you will find and that alone is worth it's price when you have covered a lot of miles.

But that is just a personal view based on our experience.

I used the vicarious books this year, one site was closed and had been for some time, three others had the wrong map reference.

It was lucky I have this on my laptop and phone, www.campingcar-infos.com/index.php

Map references were correct as this is the site the French use, many other countries are also on this site.

Barcobird

Advantages of the website Agaric mentions are that it tends to be kept up to date and that it includes places where motorhomes are permitted to park (or where their parking is tolerated) as well as ‘aires’ on campsites or elsewhere where water-refilling and waste/toilet emptying can be carried out.

The website currently has 780 references for Spain and 352 for Portugal.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?pays=ESPAGNE

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?pays=PORTUGAL

As this is a French website, comments are primarily in that language.

I notice that the website has an entry for the campsite at Monchique that you had trouble locating via your sat-nav. There’s a 30 June 2016 comment warning that it may not be easy to find. GPS coordinates are provided relating to a turn-off from the main road and evidently one then has to drive a further 1.5km on an unmetalled track to the campsite itself. Viewing the entyr’s Google map seems to confirm this, with the track leading from the N266 to the campsite being pretty twisty.

As Christmas is just over the horizon it might be a good idea to add the Aires books to your Santa Claus list.

Also have a look at - www.campercontact.com - to put on any electronic electronic devices you might have – thousands of up-to-date Aires with reviews at the touch of a button.

And don't forget to join the underused Pilote Owners forum - every little helps!

Not everyone realises that there are free updates to all the Aires guides.

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/guide_updates.shtml

The trouble with online guides is that one often needs to be onine and that is not always easy or even posssible.

For us there is something more relaxing about thumbing through a proper book and placing a bookmark by those that appeal!

Thank you all for taking the time to give me you informative feedback.

So in a nutshell (it's a large nut) :-D

By all the books you can

Download all the apps you can

Go on all the websites you can find

Don't buy books for Christmas because the new edition comes out early in the year.

Make sure you have internet so you can check on any updates and also when you have chosen a destination, that's it's still there, in the right location and not 2klm's up the road and it's open *-) (lol)

Archived