Travelling to Spain

stevec176

My wife and I and our friends want to take our vans down to Spain next February for 3 weeks but are both newbies to motorhoming and would like advice on how we go about it. Got lots of questions so any / all advice appreciated. What, if any documents do we need to obtain before hand? Is it better at that time of year to take the short ferry to Calais etc and take the long drive down or take the long ferry and short drive? If we take the long drive which is the best route? I've got 2x 7kg flogas gaslight bottles will I be able to get them refilled / replaced?

Many thanks in anticipation

With only 3 weeks, I would take the Spanish ferry. Be aware that sites may be full in February, so best to book ahead Also not many sites open in France, but there are aires.

Re papers. You must have original log book, insurance, and proof of MOT . Have to say we have never been asked to show papers in 10 years plus, but you should still carry them Passports of course ,

Keep copies of all documents safe at home, as a precaution. Also if you take prescription medicines, take a copy of your prescription.

make sure you have continental breakdown cover, with your insurance

PJay

PS suggest you buy driving abroad book, as well !!

Also you will not be able to exchange your flogas cylinders in Spain, however you may just last 3 weeks with 2 x 7 kg cylinders if not using you heating every day and staying on sites with EHU.

You could take one cylinder and buy a Spanish cylinder at a flea market along with the correct pigtail. I'm not sure of Spanish gas cylinder sizes ( someone else might help with that) and if they make one to fit in the space of a uk 7kg one. If you are planning to travel around Europe a lot and for extended periods of time you may wish to buy a refillable cylinder such as gaslow which can be filled at LPG pumps at petrol stations, a lot less messing about, but they are more expensive at around £130 ish pounds for one cylinder but cheaper to fill.

I'd also recommend you travel by ferry directly to Spain, there is only one ferry company that does this, Brittany Ferries, you'll have no problem getting a space on one of their ships in February, they have 3 ships that do the route from Portsmouth to Bilbao/Santander, but its not cheap! The economie service is good although some people moan that its not a cruise ship

You'll need to take a reflective vest for driver and passenger, spare glasses if you wear them, a set of spare light bulbs for your motorhome and 2 warning triangles, in addition your V5, insurance and mot which must be in the vehicle when you are driving it

The toll roads here in Spain are inexpensive and little used, you can cover huge distances on them and barely see another car, they are well maintained and have services and rest areas

You can get from the ferry ports to the med coast in a day, or stop at an aire overnight and arrive a little less tired, happy to give you some routes if you have an idea of where you are headed

Another useful purchase is to buy Spanish Aires book along with the ACSI campsite discount book and card which are not too expensive and will save you money when staying on campsites. You can't normally book ahead with ACSI but for short stays of a week we have always been able to find a space on a campsite with one or two exceptions. They are available from vicarious books below

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

Thank you all, I was thinking there would be more problems than that. What are the seas like for the ferry to Spain, I had read they would be quite rough and if so maybe the ferry to France might be better for us not too good sailors. Having not really been to Spain before what are the recommended sites to see?

There really aren't any problems, I live in Spain most of the time, but go back to Britain regularly, sometimes I fly, sometimes I use the ferry, crossing the Bay of Biscay can be rough at anytime of the year, my worst ever crossing was in August! but it only takes 24 hours, through France can take 3 days, plenty snow about in February too, if you choose to come down through France, use the channel tunnel, its so convenient

In terms of what to see, in February you need to be as far south as you can, inland will be very cold, its nice to go to a couple of sites and soak up some sun, for your first time you could go to Bonterra Park or Camping Javea and set out from there

The best way to find aires in Spain is using campercontact, download the app and you can use it offline, the vicarious book isn't anything like as up to date and is missing a lot

markh1 - 2016-11-24 2:17 PM

There really aren't any problems, I live in Spain most of the time, but go back to Britain regularly, sometimes I fly, sometimes I use the ferry, crossing the Bay of Biscay can be rough at anytime of the year, my worst ever crossing was in August! but it only takes 24 hours, through France can take 3 days, plenty snow about in February too, if you choose to come down through France, use the channel tunnel, its so convenient

In terms of what to see, in February you need to be as far south as you can, inland will be very cold, its nice to go to a couple of sites and soak up some sun, for your first time you could go to Bonterra Park or Camping Javea and set out from there

The best way to find aires in Spain is using campercontact, download the app and you can use it offline, the vicarious book isn't anything like as up to date and is missing a lot

Good advice but beware Camping Javea is already fully booked in February - I know because I tried to get a pitch today. Bonterra park is virtually full in February also, we just got a pitch but their website is showing a "last few pitches" sign.

Look at this thread here:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Travelling-to-Benidorm/45810/

It's verging on the ridiculous to travel through France to Spain for only 3 weeks in February. You will spend at least a week of that travelling in dismal conditions and there are few places to stay in France in the winter. There will be plenty of snow around in France and some in Spain especially around Madrid but that road is always kept well clear.

The Santander ferry is fine but I always get a cabin. Someone on here might offer you a discount code to bring the cost down.

On the ferry subject, if any of your party are taking animals, then they must have the pets passport. Kennels on the ship are "adequate" but the dog friendly cabins, which are rarer than hens teeth, are, INMHO, far better for the dog! A pet passport would be required in any case, whether you travel by boat or drive.

We are down in the south east, in the Mojacar area, and certainly at the moment, there is plenty of space, and we have the best weather factor in Europe!! Just returned from a tripette to Malaga and Almeria, and the lack of Brits is obvious, plenty of others, and plenty of room on the sites.

Archived