Ferry crossing insurance

Station Master

With the winter fast approaching, I like many people will be crossing the channel to visit friends and family for Christmas.The possibility of heavy weather in winter is always high and we are getting more severe storms more frequently these days. One Irish ferry had to seek shelter last winter and there was carnage on the car and truck decks as the ship tried to evade the worst of the weather.

I am anxious to find out what level of insurance cover I have, whilst travelling on board a ferry, in case of heavy weather damage to my car. It would seem I don't have any, the ferry companies are bound by the Athens convention and are only liable if they can be proven to be at fault- not easy for a layman to win there.

You car insurance most probably wont help because you are not on the highway but on essentially private property with the owners permission ( and his small print) Travel insurance does not include this (as far as I am aware)

So can anyone shed any light on the most cost effective way of ensuring your wheeled pride and joy, is covered in the event of heavy weather damage?

I look forward to any useful information or details of other travellers claims for heavy weather damage

Station Master

Randonneur - 2016-11-24 3:39 PMRoger, I think the best way round this would be to use the tunnel.

But the same issues arise - what about damage on the train?

I suggest the first thing to do is ask your insurer.  You may find that since crossing the Channel or Irish Sea is an ordinary use of a vehicle, you would be covered.

He does state he is crossing the Channel so the Tunnel is an option. The main problems are likely to be fire, which is remote and I would suggest he is being very pessimisitc about the journey. In fact without being unkind if he is that worried possibly staying at home would be best. The journey time is 35 minutes and each tunnel is separated by a service tunnel so collisons are not possible. Having done it several times the trip was basicaly a non event. Trains run every 30 minutes each way, so one can work out the probabilities if you so desire.

My suggestion is sit back, relax and enjoy Christmas.

Well, Thank you all for your input, I will check out my insurance and see what is covered or otherwise and revert. Le Randonneur knows where we live and using the tunnel to get to south wales from Brittany is, as they say Tongue in Cheek.

I am not being pessimistic but as an ex Mariner, I know to treat the sea with respect. Sea travel is more reliable than air travel in bad weather but you can still be caught out and since I am paying insurance anyway it would be comforting to know all is covered. We had Christmas on our own last year, but this year we will be sharing it with our grand children and their parents. I have booked the credit card into intensive care !!!

Station Master

Chef de Gare

Brittany Ferries “Conditions of Carriage” are defined about 1/3rd-down this webpage

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/holiday-conditions

and I assume other ferries will have similar terms.

Assuming that your ‘comprehensive’ vehicle insurance policy covers travel outside the UK, if the ferry company is able to avoid liability for some reason or other, you ought to be able to fall back on your own insurance.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-11-25 3:42 PM

Brittany Ferries “Conditions of Carriage” are defined about 1/3rd-down this webpage

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/holiday-conditions

and I assume other ferries will have similar terms.

Assuming that your ‘comprehensive’ vehicle insurance policy covers travel outside the UK, if the ferry company is able to avoid liability for some reason or other, you ought to be able to fall back on your own insurance.

Roger actually lives in France so presumably he has French Insurance but not sure.

Roger is clearly aware of the “Athens Convention” mentioned on the Brittany Ferries webpage.

I would have thought that any ‘comprehensive’ policy issued by a UK insurance provider and covering travel outside the UK would provide accidental damage cover for the period a vehicle spends on a ferry. If a vehicle becomes damaged while it is onboard a ferry, and responsibility for that damage cannot be placed on the ferry operator or anyone else, I would expect the vehicle owner’s own insurance provider to pick up the bill. And, if one has French vehicle insurance "tous risques”, I would expect it to operate similarly.

If Roger’s policy documentation appears to indicate that his insurance provider would not pay for ‘on ferry’ accidental damage whatever the circumstances, he should seek clarification from the provider. Although insurance providers dislike hypothetical questions, if a scenario can be envisaged (and on-ferry bad-weather vehicle damage is easy enough to imagine) and a policy’s wording is ambiguous or peculiar, the sensible thing to do is contact the provider about this.

Well I have contacted my insurance broker at it appears that I am insured but will have to pay an excess of about 600 euros if I make a claim. Clearly it won't be the same for other motor-home policies but the principle should be the same.

If you look at http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-ferry-damage-storm-imogen-2596991-Feb2016/ I think 600 euros is a small price to have to pay in the event of history repeating itself.

MY advice would be check your policy to be on the safe side.

Best wishes to MMM-ers for a Happy Christmas and safe enjoyable motorhoming in the New Year

Station Master

Archived