Hymer B690 comments please

flyboyprowler

We are thinking of changing our Le Voyageur LVX 850, for a 2015 Hymer B690. I believe that Hymer build quality has been an issue in the past, but is now OK.

If there are any owners out there who could pass on their thoughts, then I would be grateful. We have been really happy with the Le V, and would recommend them to anyone, but we want to go a little larger, and LHD, so "Betsy" may have to go, and Le V don't have a suitable model at the moment.

The reason for no replies may be that you are asking for expereince of a specific recent model, which no one on here has yet bought or even seen.

I can however confirm that while Hymer's built quality is said to have wilted some time around 2008-2010 but is said to have since recovered, so nothing to worry about there.  The design and build quality of Hymers is generally excelent so it's really a question of the suitability of the size and layout for you.  The B690 has an island bed and the otherwise identical B680 has two single berths.  The lounge area is a bit cosy compared with other large Hymers, so you might want to check that it's big enough for you. 

Both are on Mercedes chassis so no problem there either.  Only two axles and the height is only a fraction over 3 metres at 3.07, so you might get away with Class 2 on French Autoroutes.

Nice looking motothome if you can afford one.  Good luck.

Thank you for that comment. We are currently in Spain and hope to see the Hymer when we get back in a few weeks time. We also looked at Morelo and RS, but their van is taller and longer, and that wouldn't suit our type of travelling. We would stick with Le V, but there is a weight issue at the moment, and the Hymer has plenty of spare payload.

Cheers,

Ainsley

Bear in mind that Hymer do (or at least did) quote payloads based on the assumption that you would have only 20 litres of water on board, which they think you will be content to travel with.  If you want to travel with a more it comes off your payload.

Even with a weaker Pound, you will probably save a lot of money buying in Europe; consider talking to Bundesvan, it worked very well for me.

Archived