Grip Track

Mike-the-red

I have a pair of grip mats and they do work if you know what to do with them. I don't park on them as they are not rigid enough IMHO to spread the load sufficiently. I did get bogged in once (which is why I bought the grip mats) and spent a weekend in our 'van at about 5 degrees list to starboard. When it was time to leave I reversed the van as far as it would go in the troughs it had dug, then I pushed the grip mats as far under the wheels as I could. Then I let the tyres down, all the way down till the sidewalls were flattened out almostt all the way, (about 3, yes three, PSI) I then gently drove out of the soft ground with no further problems. The grip mats did not get ejected backwards, I didn't get any wheel spin and i didn't stop till I was back on the black stuff where I re-inflated the tyres with my 12 Volt compressor, yes it took a while but so what I was on holiday so nothing urgent to do.

In general I'd agree with Mel's comment of not parking on soft grass if possible but at the outdoor shows (especially York) this is rarely possible.

D.

Archived