Importing an RV from the USA

madkoka

You will be aware that you have to pay import duty and VAT on imports from the USA - plus VAT on the transport cost.

But a big plus is that motorhomes are still exempt from the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval Test). However, it does still have to be road legal in the UK, so make sure your chosen model does not exceed the maximum permitted width (many RVs do) and is under 7500 Kgs Maximum Allowed Mass if you want to drive it on an ordinary car licence. And be ready to change the relevant external lights to meet UK Lighting Regulations.

hi olley

had a look, some good advise and threads, liked the one about lazydays in florida. Paul must have the patience of a saint.

any idea what the costs of converting on RV to run on LPG are? is yours a petrol or diesel, mpg?

cheers

Gary

Hi madkoka, mines a petrol/lpg conversion it was done by Logical near Northampton, cost £3500 including reducing the existing petrol tank by about a third. You can do it yourself for about £1000-£1500

On any smaller RV under 32' you may have a problem with locating the LPG tanks. its made worse on the winnie because of the slides and the "store more" system, this means none of the side lockers can be used.

If you go on RVforum.net search for ukrv's thread "am I being unreasonable" it will put you of from buying from lazydays for life. :-D Mind you that's where mine came from. 8-)

Also if you are serious I can give you ray nippers email, for a small fee he will email you a pile of stuff and advise you as you go along. He's done this several times.

It can be very worthwhile but there are pitfalls to be aware off, no good asking me as I have never done it. But I have read the details from a number who have.

Be aware that at the moment the DVLA are measuring the width of all imported motorhomes, and many RV's are over width, before being measured you have to pay all import and Vat duties which are not refundable, so its an expensive mistake if its to wide (100.39")

Olley

Archived