Storing my camper

WrinklyOldHippy

My camper has to be stored from January to July next year. It will be in a dry barn. There is no one to run the engine or air it for us, and no power supply. We will disconnect the battery, and before we use it we will arrange a full service and new tyres, which it needs anyway. But we are worried about mice getting in, and even more worried about damp in the interior. Any advice?

Hi, If the barn really dry, then ther should not be any need to worryabout damp.

When you park it,can you arrange to put it up on blocks to take weight off the tyres, o at least arrange to movet it a short distance t rotate the wheels to minmise a flaat spot.

I would also consider removing the batteries and bringing the home to arrange an occasion top up charge..

This assumes that barn security is good, as any alarm would be disabled.. it would also mean that any villains would need to come equipped with a battery if they wanted to drive it away..

Re possible mice attack, ensure there is no tempting food or bedding left on board, and if possible remove any soft furnishing, seats, bedding etc.to avoid temtation of nesting materials..

Obviously drain down fresh waer, and empty waste etc.

Hopefully, it should survive a six months storeage without trouble.. just dont advertise the location,

Shame you cant use it continually.

Tonyg3nwl

Protecting your MH from vermin infestation is perhaps the most important step to take.  Removing all food is necessary but it's not enough - mice and rats can wreak havoc to a wiring system and in a barn (presumably on a farm) there will certainly be vermin around.  Vermin will have no difficulty getting in and exploring all around your MH.  A mouse can pass through any hole big enough to poke a pencil through.  You cannot hope to prevent them getting in so the aim must be the prevent them doing damage, by killing them as soon a possible.

So buy plenty of mouse and rat traps; spending £50 would not be too much if it saves , and plenty of them.damage to yoru MH. You can buy traps these days which incorporate bait (smelly plastic or something) so use those.  Place them around the edges of the floor and inside floor-level lockers.  (Vermin skirt the edges when they are exploring rather than cross the floor.)

If you cannot arrange for anyone else to check your MH, consider paying a vermin elimination company to do regular checks for you.

And don't fit your new tyres prior to storage, do it when you get back.  Six months is too long to avoid damage to your batteries but batteries don't cost the earth.  You could take them out and pay a garage or battery supplier to store them for you and charge them regularly - but it might be worth buying new batteries when you get back and throwing yoru existing ones; it never really pays to use old batteries.

It might cost you £500 in vermin traps or checks and replacing the batteries when you get back but better that than having to replace the wiring loom!

We agree with Stuart on replacing the tyres after storage, and everything else he says.

We would just add that Mann Air filters generally have a wire mesh to reinforce the paper element and as such prevent mice entering the inlet manifold/engine so maybe an idea to investigate this option at the service?

Most other filters have a wide spaced plastic re-inforcing which are easily 'overcome by rodents.

aandncaravan - 2016-11-30 7:56 PMWe agree with Stuart on replacing the tyres after storage, and everything else he says.We would just add that Mann Air filters generally have a wire mesh to reinforce the paper element and as such prevent mice entering the inlet manifold/engine so maybe an idea to investigate this option at the service?Most other filters have a wide spaced plastic re-inforcing which are easily 'overcome by rodents.

Well done young fella, I forgot to mention the air filter.  Mice made a nest in my motorcycle's air box one winter and you wouldn't believe the tortuous narrow route they had to use to get in there.  Made a real mess but fortunately easily cured by cleaning out and a new filter.

When we had a spell when mice "visited" our previous van..as well as traps inside, I also laid some *outside next to the wheels, as I assumed that's how they were climbing in

(*I sat them in lidded marg' cartons, with a small hole poked in the one end, so as to stop birds getting caught in them).

It was quite usual to get 3-4 mice each morning but obviously, when in storage, you won't be able to reset traditional traps.

With that in mind(and bear with me, this is a bit random! (lol) ), with talk of sitting the van on axle stands, I wondered could the stands (or even just the tyres, as they're going be changed?) be stood in sturdy trays(cut down oil drums? Tuff tubs? old meat tins etc?) and some sort of fluid put in, that would discourage vermin? (but not something poisonous to the farmer's cats!.)..

Told you it was "random" (lol)

And do make a note of what engine parts you block off before you eagerly start up again in July.

Regarding rodents you could always go one step further and sit the wheels on Staddles.

These were particular stone arrangements that farmers used to protect their granaries, the main characteristic is an extending lip that prevents a rodent climbing up further.

Not an instant everyday arrangement I know but the practical person might manage it. The wheels could be removed and the M/H sat on blocks using the Staddle method. Simple and effective.

Google the name staddle or steddle. Its a Medieval arrangement that worked perfectly.

Will

The O'P states that there is no -one to run the engine for them! So leaving mouse traps for 6 months, if they catch any, will be pretty smelly, and not very nice to dispose of!!

We don't know where they live, but maybe if we did, some one may be able to help , re looking in on van occasionally

we did not use our van apart for getting the MOT done, for 9 months this year. So stood from end of Feb until September , not moved. We did visit a couple of times, but did not run the engine. When we came to use it, started first time !

I would try to find someone who could look in on the van from time to time.

PJay

Our van out in open. I would think being in a Barn , in winter , would attract vermin, for the warmth

Will86 - 2016-12-01 1:24 PM

Regarding rodents you could always go one step further and sit the wheels on Staddles.

These were particular stone arrangements that farmers used to protect their granaries, the main characteristic is an extending lip that prevents a rodent climbing up further.

Will

Yep another good option Will..

..and if the OP was going to use axle stands, rather than my "moat" suggestion, I suppose forming an overhang on each of them would be quite easy..

They could just using 4 cheapie market stall woks (inverted and with any handles removed) - a hole drilled in the bottom just big enough to receive the axle stands stem/post..and then assembled onto the stand like a coolie hat.

(I formed something similar out of sheet steel some years ago..to stop the squirrels raiding the bird tables! :-S )

Having said all of this, if you do physically disable the vehicle by leaving it on stands..I'd just double check for any insurance implications, as I'm sure I've read online how someone said that their trailer/caravan wasn't insured when on "winter wheels"? no idea if that may apply to a motorised vehicle?

Archived