wintering abroad.

fesspark

Hi fess, I guess "Wintering" is a fair title, but I cannot quite see any advantage. Over the years we considered this but declined, especially as the UK winters are now mild.

The best 'winter' away I had was 3 months in Australia which meant I enjoyed 3 following summers with no winter. That would be my preference to repeat.

Will,each to their own, we do not fly anymore so world wide is out, We flew on the Caladonian flight to Faro when the aircraft doorseal came off and we went to heaven,or hell? for a few minutes, My wife won,t fly again.No one in their right mind would fly again if they had a flight when the cockpit ect,decompressed.

Agaric - 2016-12-09 10:40 AM

French Aires are certainly not wild camping, a lay-by, carpark or farmers field etc go down as wild camping.

Have a good time.

Agree with the first comment, however I don't think car parks and farmers fields can be called "wild" as at least one of those will almost certainly include a cost, so can't be called "free" either.

Wild camping IMO is probably at a deserted beach, cliff top, or up a forest track, but you definitely need to be on your own! Difficult for those who think Freddie Kruger is behind every rock, tree etc.

fesspark - 2016-12-09 11:51 AM

Will,each to their own, we do not fly anymore so world wide is out, We flew on the Caladonian flight to Faro when the aircraft doorseal came off and we went to heaven,or hell? for a few minutes, My wife won,t fly again.No one in their right mind would fly again if they had a flight when the cockpit ect,decompressed.

Flying is still, by a long way the safest form of travel. However driving is still one of the most dangerous, weird eh?

I guess the chances of experiencing another scary flight have reduced somewhat, however odds don't work like that. The likelyhood is that statistically you have exactly the same chance off a similar experience on another flight.

For me personally, as a risk taker, I would tend to think the chance of the same or worse happening again as very remote, but then it didn't happen to me.

starvin marvin - 2016-12-09 2:19 PM...... Wild camping IMO is probably at a deserted beach, cliff top, or up a forest track, but you definitely need to be on your own! Difficult for those who think Freddie Kruger is behind every rock, tree etc.

We stayed on a CL last year which turned out to consist of clearings in an isolated wooded area some distance along a track, so no property or even sign of human existance in sight.  We were the only people using it so once it went dark it was really quite spooky so we shut the curtains, drank our fill and slept deeply and undisturbed.

Will86 - 2016-12-09 10:56 AM

Hi fess, I guess "Wintering" is a fair title, but I cannot quite see any advantage. Over the years we considered this but declined, especially as the UK winters are now mild.

The best 'winter' away I had was 3 months in Australia which meant I enjoyed 3 following summers with no winter. That would be my preference to repeat.

I don't know what you did today in the UK, but I went on a 15 mile bikeride along a coastal railway path in 20' wall to wall sunshine. Lot's of joggers, walkers and cyclists with many wearing shorts and T shirts.

Tell me who had an advantage today, oh, and yesterday and the day before, and probably tomorrow and all next week.

Where am I? Wintering in Spain B-) B-) B-)

DJP - 2016-12-09 7:38 PM

Will86 - 2016-12-09 10:56 AM

I don't know what you did today in the UK, but I went on a 15 mile bikeride along a coastal railway path in 20' wall to wall sunshine. Lot's of joggers, walkers and cyclists with many wearing shorts and T shirts.

Tell me who had an advantage today, oh, and yesterday and the day before, and probably tomorrow and all next week.

Where am I? Wintering in Spain B-) B-) B-)

Good on yer!

fesspark - 2016-12-09 10:26 AM

I just wondered if anyone has wintered abroad more than my wife and I . We are off next Tues for our 34th year wintering in Europe, mostly Spain and Portugal .p.s. in case you thought it we do not wild camp unless in the summer on Aires in France.

Can't claim to beat the 34 years but, since my wife lost her mum who she had cared for over many years, we have wintered for about 3-4 months in Spain or Portugal and hope to do so for many years to come.

Our winters may now be 'milder' but we both still suffer somewhat with the weather aggravating our respective medical problems. The increased amounts of sunshine are quite a tonic and well worth the trip down. Coincidentally, we will be setting off on Tuesday too - then Christmas on the beachfront.

David

Guest pelmetman

This'll be our 6th winter in the Sun B-) ..........

What's not to like?.......Mostly shorts and T shirts during the day.........cheap cost of living......ie had a Chinese on Monday, pancake roll for starters, a chicken dish, a pork dish and a fish dish, plus fried rice and noodles, small beer, bottle of wine prawn crackers and ice cream or coffees and apple schnapps each as a thank you for paying the bill ......16 euro's .....so that's roughly ten quid for a meal out for 2 people B-) ......

Back to reality Thursday ..........Blighty 8-) ........

Just for a fortnight for Christmas ;-) .......

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2016-12-10 9:22 AM

pelmetman - 2016-12-10 8:54 AM

How are you getting back Dave? ( 'presumably flying, as it's only for the fortnight?)

Nope Bilbao to Pompey........£904 return 8-) .......

How are you getting back Dave? ( 'presumably flying, as it's only for the fortnight?)

Probably not. They have a dog !!

i love dogs , but they are more restrictive than kids!!

PJay

pelmetman - 2016-12-10 9:55 AM

900 quid!? GULP! 8-)

..I had forgotten that a cheapie flight back wasn't an option, due to the dog(s)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2016-12-10 12:51 PM

pelmetman - 2016-12-10 9:55 AM

900 quid!? GULP! 8-)

..I had forgotten that a cheapie flight back wasn't an option, due to the dog(s)

Its not only that as cheap flights near Christmas are like gold dust, plus the cost of kennels car hire each end........there's not a lot in it really :-| ........

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2016-12-10 1:43 PM

It appears then that your cost cutting life style is in reality, the same as everyone else ?

Except I'm doing it before I've become a paid member of the idle classes Will........and if HM gov keep moving the goal posts its debatable whether I'll live long enough to become a burden on the public purse :'( ........

Guest pelmetman
fesspark - 2016-12-10 4:51 PM

Did you have a ferryclub discount into your £900.00 crossing if not why?fesspark

Yep we had the SIL's discount, but the pet cabins always sell out early so we actually had to join the early reservation club to ensure we got a booking ;-) .........

fesspark - 2016-12-09 10:26 AMI just wondered if anyone has wintered abroad more than my wife and I . We are off next Tues for our 34th year wintering in Europe, mostly Spain and Portugal .p.s. in case you thought it we do not wild camp unless in the summer on Aires in France.

The penny's dropped that 34 years of wintering abroad must mean either you're very old (retired 30 plus years) or you've been fortunate enough to have the time and wherewithall to fund so many winters abroad or you can earn your money while touring, such as writing for a living.  So good luck to you if that's what's given you pleasure.

Not done it yet and not sure I have enough of the right sort of adventurousness left in me to want to (or at least to spend a winter on crowded Spanish campsites) but we are booked to go to Spain, with dog and MH, by ferry next September so we'll at least be giving Northern Spain a visit.

starvin marvin - 2016-12-09 2:34 PM

Flying is still, by a long way the safest form of travel.

Per mile yes, but if you start to do it by time it's not so good. And then if you take into account that a lot of crashes happen in the few minutes while taking off and landing it gets worse. :-D

StuartO - 2016-12-10 5:40 PM
fesspark - 2016-12-09 10:26 AMI just wondered if anyone has wintered abroad more than my wife and I . We are off next Tues for our 34th year wintering in Europe, mostly Spain and Portugal .p.s. in case you thought it we do not wild camp unless in the summer on Aires in France.

The penny's dropped that 34 years of wintering abroad must mean either you're very old (retired 30 plus years) or you've been fortunate enough to have the time and wherewithall to fund so many winters abroad or you can earn your money while touring, such as writing for a living.  So good luck to you if that's what's given you pleasure.

Not done it yet and not sure I have enough of the right sort of adventurousness left in me to want to (or at least to spend a winter on crowded Spanish campsites) but we are booked to go to Spain, with dog and MH, by ferry next September so we'll at least be giving Northern Spain a visit.

Not absolutely necessary to spend the time on crowded campsites - although we have sometimes used sites we have also enjoyed the sun on Aires and one or two accepted stopovers. This year will be a mixture of all these things but if we happen across a nice pitch on a nice site we may very well take advantage a stay a few weeks.Hope you enjoy the September trip.David

Archived