Christmas

Megan

Hi

Can't recommend any personally, as we don't use van in winter. Maybe if you google the area you fancy , you may find something. The chances are that at this late in the year, any open will be fully booked.

i hope you have a fully winterised van, as you will probably find it very cold at night, and of course the days are very short. If you are a member of one of the clubs , look on the web site.

PJay

We have done a few Christmas and New Year tours. Plenty of sites are open but we mainly use CL's or wilding.

One year we did a month or so and spent Christmas on the Isle of Whight. We stayed on the Waverley campsite at East Cowes. I got a deal through them for about £130 including the ferry for a week. We then moved on through Dorset, Devon and Cornwall mainly on CL sites. Loved it, especially Devon and Cornwall.

We have also done the Lake District again really just using CL sites or wilding. 2010/11 was down to -17c and all the lakes were frozen. We spent New Years eve on the Honister pass when it was -17c. Warm as toast in the van. Winterised or not modern vans should be warm enough. All winterising really means is the water tanks are inside. Insulation should be as good regardless of where the tanks are. Our water is internal and I did come across an autotrail that was having bother as his external water tank froze. We have come across a fair few hardy tuggers on CL's in winter and they are definitely not winterised.

Im not a member anymore but the Caravan Club do some Great Days out vouchers on when we toured the south coast that winter we got all sorts of two or one entries etc such as the National Motor Museum which I think is about £17 per person normally.

We camp out over Christmas at youngest sons in Milton Keynes or eldist sons in Guildford. Can't beat it warm comfortable accomidation, free food and drink, we even get presents! Mind you we do pull our weight, in the afternoon we take the dogs out leaving them free to tackle the clearing up!

Megan - 2016-12-12 10:13 PM

Sounds great! What are CL's (I'm sure it is obvious but I can't think what it is). I presume Wilding is Wild Camping?

A CL is a certified location or 5 van site managed by the Caravan Club. There are about 2500 of them all over the UK. from Farmers fields to Pubs to Nursery's etc. Some are just a field with a tap and an emptying point, many now have hookup and some even showers and toilets. Price range from about £4 to £15 a night. The Caravan and Camping Club has about 1500 and theirs are called CS Certified sites.

Only a max of 5 units allowed. Many are in really lovely locations

Yes wilding is wildcamping or parking really.

Archived