Loss of Creative People in 2016

starvin marvin

Just replying to Bullet guy's most recent posting reminded me that Amber Rudd, aka Forever Amber, was once upon a time the wife of the late great AA Gill, one of the very best columnists we have ever had. I read his obituary in The Times today, what a man! I used to buy the Sunday Times just to read his brilliant musings.

Along with David Bowie, and Caroline Aherne we have lost some excellent talent this year.

AA Gill replaced Clive James (another one of the very best, but on his last legs). Thanks goodness we still have PJ O'Rourke, otherwise IMO there would be no one left.

I guess Hugh McIlvanney is still alive, but he's a great journalist rather than being a humorist as well.

You're so right about A A Gill. What a joy it was to read his obituary and to recall the numerous displays of genius in his articles. Gloriously averse to, and critical of so many sacred cows, he was a man of great humanity. I would not have relished his judgement but it would be much easier to listen to his criticisms because I get the feeling that he judged himself just as harshly as he judged others.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2016-12-13 3:29 PM

You're so right about A A Gill. What a joy it was to read his obituary and to recall the numerous displays of genius in his articles. Gloriously averse to, and critical of so many sacred cows, he was a man of great humanity. I would not have relished his judgement but it would be much easier to listen to his criticisms because I get the feeling that he judged himself just as harshly as he judged others.

Veronica

Thats exactly the impression I had of him.......just wonderful.

pepe63 - 2016-12-13 4:34 PM

..and Greg Lake (King Crimson and ELP) last Wednesday... :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL52oqT81hA

It's certainly been an absolute swine of a year. It occurred to me only last night that I won't see a new Alan Rickman film.

Then there was Walter (The Choirboy) Swinburn 55, who died earlier this week...an absolute genius on a horse. Still holds the record for the biggest Derby winner by 10 lengths on Shergar.1981, I think.

Archived