Trip to Zagreb

ALAN G

Earlier this year we considered going to Zagreb via France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and of course Croatia. At the time there was a great deal of TV news coverage of migrants being held up at borders and some borders being closed. Deciding that we wanted a trip without transit problems, imagined or otherwise, we went to Spain. The FCO seems to say that there are no difficulties as long as you have your passport.

Were there, in fact, any problems affecting motor homes?

Took the route you outlined in the early summer of this year. Crossed the border from Slovenia and drove south as far as Dubrovnik using the ferry to avoid the Bosnia corridor. From there we headed north through Plitvice Lakes National Park to Zagreb. Stayed at pleasant Camp Zagreb, open all year. Campsite is a 20 minute walk or in our case a 10 minute bike ride to the train station. Very cheap and frequent trains into the centre of Zagreb which we found to be a place we really enjoyed. Although not a capitol city we knew anything about, we found it both a nice and interesting place. Sad that it seems a bit overlooked by the Brits. Campsite provided a very good free guide to the city. Our next destination was Vienna which was fantastic, crossed into and out of Slovinia to Austria, again no problems at any borders - were not stopped on either occasion.

we went in June via France Italy Slovenia into Croatia, no problems at all, the only passport check was entering Croatia from Slovenia, no other checks on the way out. we stayed in Croatia six weeks went down as far as Split. Zagreb is a lovely city, i cant comment on the campsite as we parked up on a friends drive in Samobor.

Many thanks for your comments. We'll try the route next June and hopefully get to Pitlivic Lakes as well. Last time we ventured that way we were coming from Dubrovnik when the motorway was closed due to high winds. As compensation we discovered many delights in Slovenia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Alan,

If you decide to visit Croatia, Zagreb should definitely be a must on your list. There are many cities to visit, Motovun, Rovinj, Zadar, Primošten, Trogir, Split and of course Dubrovnik. To see the coastline I would suggest you take the old road, not the highway. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, something you miss driving on the highway. Zadar was 2016 european best destination. http://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/best-of-europe/european-best-destinations-2016/#content

I live in Zadar, feel to contact me for any advice.

We took the same route down in September & back in October, never saw an immigrant and only boarder control was Slovenia/ Croatia where they just waved us through.

Agree the coast road it a great drive puts the condition of UK roads to shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, hello to everyone. This is my first post and just joined.

Italy Tour:-

My wife and I, are looking to take in Prague, Budapest, Croatia etc. on a trip into Italy, possibly crossing over to Bari from Dubrovnik.

I have read with interest that security does not seem to be a "major" issue. I would love to hear from anyone who can add to the above and give advice on any aspect of this Balkan area.

Italy is not an issue but I am concerned re the Balkans.

Archived