Spare wheel

MagHal

Hi, as a matter of interest, when I had van serviced recently, I specifically asked them to ensure that spare wheel carrier could be checked out as well.

Good job idid ask, as the bill included extra cost for de rusting and lubricating the mechanism as it was apperently solid. They had to dismantle something, and clean it up to get it functional again.

They also said that in future , should I have a puncture, get the AA or such.. it is not easy to do yourself.

Tonyg3nwl

If any of the fix and go muck actually worked it would be an ideal solution but it doesn't and in any event seems a bit like trusting one's trousers to blue tack. :D

I can't remember the last puncture I had but get one when you're in a hurry without a spare and the inconvenience of a weighty spare suddenly pales into insignificance.

malc d - 2016-12-18 12:13 PM

When people buy cars or vans without a spare wheel, are they given any advice in their handbook about what to do if a tyre bursts ?

:-|

There is a reasonable amount of information in my Fiat Ducato handbook on how to change a wheel and how to use the “Fix & Go” tyre repair kit. There is also the kit-related caveat that "Punctures caused by foreign bodies can be repaired if the damage does not exceed 4 mm on the tread and on the shoulder of the tyre”. Plainly, if a tyre explodes or suffers serious damage, or a tyre-valve fails, it will not be practicable to use a Fix & Go kit.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-12-18 6:42 PM

malc d - 2016-12-18 12:13 PM

When people buy cars or vans without a spare wheel, are they given any advice in their handbook about what to do if a tyre bursts ?

:-|

Plainly, if a tyre explodes or suffers serious damage, or a tyre-valve fails, it will not be practicable to use a Fix & Go kit.

Precisely my point Derek.

If you get a badly damaged tyre on a motorway in France, or half way to the North Cape ( or anywhere else for that matter ) - your handbook is unlikely to be much help if you have no spare.

;-)

A tyre-fitter in France may insist on adheriing rigidly to an EC directive that the tyres on a vehicle’s axle must all be the same make. Consequently, if a tyre becomes irreparably damaged and no same-make replacement is available, the fitter might well insist that two tyres be purchased rather than just one. The ’same-make’ directive is not followed in the UK, so it would be unrealistic to expect every UK motorhome owner to be aware of it.

However, it would be ridiculous to suggest that UK motorcaravanners might be oblivious to the fact that a tyre might be damaged beyond repair, nor would be unaware that having no spare-wheel could cause problems.

Handbooks can’t cover every accidental eventuality - I’ve yet to see one that advised a motorhome owner how to deal with a vehicle that has become bogged down in a muddy field or has slid into a ditch - so if anyone’s motorhome has no spare-wheel (and surely every motorcaravanner will know if that’s the case) they should be able to envisage easily potential difficulties resulting from serious tyre damage.

My Rapido has a retro-fitted spare-wheel, but if (say) road-debris on a French motorway or half way to the North Cape resulted in more than one of the Rapido’s tyres being irreparably damaged, I’m going to be as stuck as if the motorhome had no spare-wheel. I wouldn’t expect the Rapido’s handbooks to tell me what to do if I had two damaged-beyond-repair tyres any more than I’d expect them to tell me what to do if I had one.

Rayjsj - 2016-12-18 9:45 AM

derek pringle - 2016-12-17 8:54 AM

hi all,

Is there not a spray you can use in each wheel to give a better internal protection and like some cars carry an injector in the boot. My 2012 Mercedes had this method and no spare wheel[car not m/h].

Could be beneficial to fit Tyron bands first.

cheers

derek

Derek, have you ever had to use one of these aerosol cans in anger ? I have, they are totally useless, and the tyre compressor inadequate....in short a waste of space. Now i would not accept ANY vehicle that didnt have some kind of spare wheel, even if only a space saver. No exceptions,

Not had any experience of pre-injected goo, but still doesnt take the place of a proper spare wheel.

Hi Rayjsj,

No I have not had any experience of using the aerosol system, and when I collected my brand new Merc in 2012 I was not given any instructions what to do if I had to call on this bit of kit.

Mind you, other than a simple puncture in a ideal location I couldn't see anybody being able to change a wheel without calling out rescue services and their heavy jacks etc to do the job. Alsop, if a tyre exploded and the van ran on the wheel rim at all then god knows how anybody would be able to retrieve the spare from its holding brace underneath the van--too dangerous i would think.

cheers

derek

A few random comments - firstly our2007 Burstner was not supplied with a spare wheel, and though one could be optioned, there would have been quite a weight cost, and well as £ costs. The usual (heavy) injector was supplied with the can of gunge. I also could not see where one could be fitted under the chassis, as there seemed not enough spare space there.

I had done some research, and in fact had all the four tyres injected with 'puncture-safe'.....and yes, this wont stop a complete blow-out, but it does minimise risks, and certainly reduces slow pucntures...in fact we travelled well over 1000 miles with a nail in the tyre, which had been completely sealed in with this.

In terms of 'breakdown cover' I took the view that when question as always about any changes from originally supplied, since there was no spare, I was, in my mind, covered anyway!l,

Re the previous comment about accessibility of a spare from under the vehicle, surely if you had a blowout, then it would have to be jacked up, and this would provide the necessary access...?.

Interestingly, we are shortly to exchange this van for a new Autotrail Van Conversion which does come equipped with the spare. But from experience of the Puncture-safe product I will probably have this injected anyway.

Hi Keith T

I understand that if you had a proper blow out on a tyre that you may well have to jack the vehicle up to access the spare from its underslung cradle, however, would you feel safe crawling under a m/h that was only secured by the type of jack issued with the vehicle,I wouldn't. That's why I think the rescue service would need to be involved.

cheers

derek

Archived