truma combi 4 dead

dgw15

Hi

We have a rollerteam MH with a truma combi 4. Had people staying over xmas so used the MH for an additional bedroom. 1st night the heating worked ok, 2nd night nothing, no led's on the control dial at all.

Ive checked the combi unit, its getting 12v, fuse is good, pulled off all the connectors and left 30 seconds, put back on and still nothing, no noise at all, and nothing on the control panel still, same if i have the 240 hook up or not. (everything else working so the power etc is all ok)

Any ideas? (thanks)

...as above. Once the outer cover is off, you'll need a narrow pencil or something to push down the chamfered hole to reset the 'overheat' button (You should/might hear a slight click if it has tripped).

Whilst there, also check the now visible "slow-blow" 12v fuse located under the same cover, (assuming it is not this, but the converter's 12v supply fuse, that you have already checked), as it can cause the symptoms you have.

For info, failure of the additional but more deeply-buried 240v fuse does not by itself cause the control panel lights to fail, but simply inhibits 240v heating with a control panel warning, leaving the gas side working, so you can probably discount failure of that.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Derek.

I’m guessing from your enquiry’s wording that you have a gas-only Combi manufactured before December 2013 (ie. the grey outer casing version) with an ‘analogue-design’ control-panel.

Truma’s trouble-shooting advice that would appear to be relevant to your problem is as follows:

FAULT: No LED is shining, the device is switched on and is supplied with operating current.

CAUSE: - Automatic restart is blocked, e.g. after a power failure.

RECTIFICATION: - Reset (fault reset) by switching off, waiting 5 seconds and then switching on again.

FAULT: After switching on (winter and summer operation) none of the LEDs are lit.

CAUSE: - No operating voltage.

RECTIFICATION: - Check 12 V battery voltage, charge if necessary. - Check all electrical plug connections.

CAUSE: - Device fuse or vehicle fuse defective.

RECTIFICATION: - Check the unit or vehicle fuse and replace if necessary (see fuses).”

You seem to have carried out all the appropriate tests, which leaves the possibility that the heater’s printed circuit board has developed a fault.

Hi folks, thanks for the replies so far.

So the unit is under a year old, we only bought the MH from new last march. Under warranty Im sure but as we dont live close to the dealer thought there may be some simle stuff I can check.

Interestingly there is no red protection cutout button to reset on this model, there is a hole in the casing but there is nothing in or behind it. The control dial is analogue dial type but completely dead no matter if we have the MH hooked up or not.

12 fuse as mentioed is all ok, tested it with the multimeter. Unit getting 12v ok also. Makes me think the control board has popped or something like that.

In which case, especially in view of the age of the van; back to the dealer! Or, at least contact them and put them on notice of the failure, and ask if they would sooner you took the van back to them, or called out a Truma repairer under the terms of the Truma warranty.

Personally, I'd be inclined to favour the Truma warranty route (because the dealer's workshop technician/s may lack adequate knowledge) - but would nevertheless notify the dealer, just in case the fault is not actually with the Truma itself (though from your description it does seem most likely that it will be).

dgw15 - 2016-12-27 2:36 PM

Interestingly there is no red protection cutout button to reset on this model, there is a hole in the casing but there is nothing in or behind it.

AFAIK, it is only fitted to the "E" models and functional on/with electric heating only.

You appear to be mentioning only one dial, so yours is probably a (non-E) gas only unit (you obviously will know).

The red button (when present) is anyhow quite deep in the recess, and if it hasn't tripped, unless you can see into it you might well think there was nothing there.

You imply that you have checked all the connections into the unit (under the 12v cover near the fuse), and have disconnected/reconnected. If not, a quick check of the panel and remote thermostat connections here might be useful (if they are accessible), and the last thing is to check is the plug-in cable connection to the rear of the panel.

After that, it's a Truma agent and warranty, I think.

Thanks folks, appreciate all the replies.

Will follow up with Truma and post up how I get on. Unfortunately don't have a good relationship with the dealer as also bought an awning new from them and had them fit, it failed the 1st time I wound it out, took back to dealer and they didn't want to know, offered to sell me another one though :-S .

I will try the Truma cust services 1st.

Archived