Broken Fiat Dipstick Tube

kevina

I've just changed the engine oil and found the dipstick tube broken off about 8" from the top, just above where a steadying bracket holds it. I can only think that it happened when I pulled off the engine cover to check and spray the injectors, that means I've driven about 4000 miles with it like that. Not really any sign of oil spraying out other than a tiny bit of discolouration so hopefully nothing has gone in.

The question is, what to do about it before we go to the Alps next Thursday?

A replacement tube would seem to be out of the question as the bottom end seem to be a push fit into the crankcase. I'm thinking of fabricating an ally sleeve and bonding (carefully) with epoxy putty.

All suggestions welcomed.

Kev

Looks like an M4 rubber rawlnut would pop into the broken bit and seal it off nicely with minimum risk. Then fix in the summer at my leisure.

833113771_dipsticktube.jpg.81dfafe2676063a613b48e220ed2017d.jpg

1920612599_diptube.jpg.5b2571357ee7a3868da527dbc1234d98.jpg

kevina - 2016-12-30 2:58 PMI've just changed the engine oil and found the dipstick tube broken off about 8" from the top, just above where a steadying bracket holds it. I can only think that it happened when I pulled off the engine cover to check and spray the injectors, that means I've driven about 4000 miles with it like that. Not really any sign of oil spraying out other than a tiny bit of discolouration so hopefully nothing has gone in.The question is, what to do about it before we go to the Alps next Thursday? A replacement tube would seem to be out of the question as the bottom end seem to be a push fit into the crankcase. I'm thinking of fabricating an ally sleeve and bonding (carefully) with epoxy putty. All suggestions welcomed.KevLooks like an M4 rubber rawlnut would pop into the broken bit and seal it off nicely with minimum risk. Then fix in the summer at my leisure.

Could you be over-engineering a merely temporary solution?  Although the dipstick tube is metal part of the engine, I suspect it doesn't get so hot that you could use a bit of suitably sized rubber tubing as a ferrule to make a temporary holdfast of the two broken tube ends.  Perhaps even a few turns of self-amalgamating tape would do it.  If that seems too risky what about a small jubilee clip to hold the two parts together; the joint you are attempting to make doesn't have to take a substantial load.

Supposing you cut a one inch square (approx) of thin aluminium sheet, thin enough to bend around the dip stick tube to form an external splint without increasing the OD too much.  Then loosen the bracket and slide it around the dipstick tube but inside the bracket, then slide the top bit of the tube inside the aluminium, tighten the bracket and secure the top half with either a jubilee clip or with wire whipping? You should be able to form the aluminium sleeve around either the top bit of tube or a similar sized bar in the vice with a light hammer.

Be sure that your dipstick is air tight and can hold the crankcase pressure which is set positive. The same pressure you feel when at idle when the oil fill cap is removed. That system is called positive crank case ventilation and sits in a black box on top of the engine and works very well in a ducato. Thanks to Mann and Hummel. If it frozen it can blow out your engine oil via the dipstick. Ducato now has standard heating, option before .Crankcase ventilation is the most misunderstood system but very important.

Archived