Spanish trip

Stuart

Guest Frank Wilkinson
I can't help you with the Spanish bit but earlier this year, when we had a touring 'van, we crossed from Plymouth to Santander and it was a superb sailing. We did have a very fancy cabin with suite and a balcony though. We had booked our return sailing from Zeebrugge to Hull so from Santander headed north.

Stuart

I'm assuming that you want to head south without lingering in what can be pretty cold weather for this journey given the time of year. In which case I suggest that you make Bilbao your port of entry as it is a more direct route on better roads.

The sites listed are all very close to the normal route south and which I know to be normally open, but do double check. The Haro site is useful if you have an inconvenient sailing/docking time.

'De Haro', Haro (at 70 miles) Approx 10 miles down the A68 from its junction with the A1.

'Costajan', Aranda de Duero (at 160 miles) N1/E5.

'Pico de la Miel', La Cabrera (at 220 miles) N1/E5.

'Alpha', Getafe-Madrid (at 260 miles) N1V. About 8 miles south from Madrid centre.

'Despenaperros', Santa Elena (at 416 miles) N1V. Very handy site.

'Marbella Playa', Marbella (at 610 miles) N340. There are several sites around here and this is probably the best of a very poor bunch.

I would be interested to know where you intend staying when you get to the Gibraltar area as the sites on the Costa Del Sol are a sorry lot in general.

Hope the above is of use - have fun.

Ron

Hi,

If you are heading for West of Gib you may be better heading for Salamanca and stay at Camping Hotel Regio Then heading south to Saville and avoiding Madrid.

We are going that way in Jan and staying at La Rosaleda in Conil de la Frontera. 70 west of Gib. its in the ccc winter brochure. it will be our 3rd year there.

Richard

Richard

How is it that we've never met at Rosaleda, this has been one of our regular haunts?

I did this site a disservice by not mentioning it. A very well managed and cared for site. I'm afraid my mind was transfixed on the rubbish further east.

Richard

Tall, dark and handsome some would say - but they would be telling porkies.

We are also in the process of changing our van (when the manufacturers get their finger out) so thats of no help. Because of this I can't see us being able to have a long enough stay this winter to make the journey worthwhile. I really dont know what I'll do with myself this winter, other than think of the likes of you - in envy.

Have fun.

Ron

Archived