Topping up oil level - 2006 2.3ltr diesel Boxer

Hinterhag1

My newly acquired 56 plate Autocruise (Peugeot Boxer base vehicle) appears to have x 2 oil filler caps; one on top of the engine as normal and another larger aperture cap at the front of the engine bay. I assume this additional filling point at the front is provided because it is so difficult to pour oil into the other access point on top of the engine without losing most of it all over the engine bay and eventually the road beneath!? The vehicle handbook has no mention of this at all, either in the text or the drawings of the engine bay.

Has anybody else got this set up on their van? I assume I am ok to take the easy route and top up using the easily accessible access point, which looks like it would introduce the oil directly to the sump, but I just wanted to check first. I would hate to be putting engine oil where it shouldn't be...

Input from those more experienced than me at this would be much appreciated. That's what these forums are about after all! Many thanks.

Welcome to the Out&Aboutlive forums, Mark.

This has come up a couple of times before on this forum and - as you’ve assumed - it would appear that a 2nd oil filler-point was fitted by Peugeot because the one on the motor itself was difficult to access.

(Incidentally, your Boxer’s engine capacity will be 2.2litre. Peugeot has never fitted a 2.3 litre motor to the Boxer, though Fiat did (and still does) use a 2.3litre motor in Ducato).

This 2009 discussion refers to the two oil fillers

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/help-please-engine-oil/14292/

At the time (on Page 2 of the forum thread) Dave Newell said

“...today I had the opportunity to photograph the engine bay of a Boxer with the two fillers.

The red arrows point to the two oil filler points, the yellow arrow is indicating the brake fluid reservoir and the green arrow points to the power steering reservoir.”

boxerengine.jpg.8dd2b138173f9d6b77821f79b46d9804.jpg

Archived