Skiing Austria Grubhof Camping

Violet1956

It's that time of year again when I begin to get excited about taking the van up to the snow in early March. This time thinking of Austria which as seasoned campers will know is all about sites not aires/informal stops. Looking at Grubhof Camping as a starting point. Anyone used that campsite in winter or outside of winter? The van's in for its big service and some all season tyres to be fitted. Last year's experience of skiing in the Dolomites has made us keen to go again as it was such an adventure and we think we have just about mastered the art and science of using the van in extreme weather conditions.

If anyone has skied in their van in Austria has any tips I would be delighted to hear from them. I've been looking around on the motorhomefun and snowheads forums but they are not too detailed when it comes to advice about Austrian resorts. Full of posts by people who remain to be persuaded that skiing in an MH is fun...we love it though it is not for everyone.

Thanks.

Veronica

We've primarily skied at Solden in Austria, a very nice campsite 5 minutes from the closest lift. Perhaps like yourself we went mainly to campsites for the first year or two but now that we spend two months in the Alps the lack of aires makes it far too expensive.

Solden is quite a busy resort, now that we've been to a lot of places I wouldn't rush back, it's quite easy to drive to though. Between the border and the Fernpass are a few small resorts which we've detoured to in bad weather and have overnighted in the lift carpark at Ehrwald.

kevina - 2017-01-06 7:33 PM

We've primarily skied at Solden in Austria, a very nice campsite 5 minutes from the closest lift. Perhaps like yourself we went mainly to campsites for the first year or two but now that we spend two months in the Alps the lack of aires makes it far too expensive.

Solden is quite a busy resort, now that we've been to a lot of places I wouldn't rush back, it's quite easy to drive to though. Between the border and the Fernpass are a few small resorts which we've detoured to in bad weather and have overnighted in the lift carpark at Ehrwald.

Thanks very much for your reply it has been very helpful.Have taken a look at Solden and have noticed that the campsite is uber convenient for the lift. You are right though it is expensive to stay on campsites in Austria close to ski resorts in winter ( at Solden it is around 50 euro a night for the 2 of us and the pooch in early March). However it is hard to beat the Austrians for the attention paid to visitor comfort on their campsites. The smaller resorts are attractive too. Shall take a look at Ehrwald. We a'int that nimble on our skis anymore and don't need the huge expanses offered by the larger resorts we once enjoyed in our youth.

Veronica

Archived