Taking dogs to the Republic of Ireland

Twa Westies

Hi, Does anyone have a definitive answer to the issue of whether or not you need expensive pet passports to travel to the South of Ireland? Has anyone done it without pet passports and was it a problem? I intend to travel via N. Ireland , the quickest route from Scotland, and given that there are open borders how is this policed or is it?

Please, please don't make this about taking dogs to campsites, I have a motorhome because I have dogs, always obey site rules and hate irresponsible dog owners, noisy kids, loud music blasted from vans and all other anti social behaviour.

There are no passport requirements to take up to 5 dogs to Northern Ireland and I have done so on a number of occasions over the years.

Under the existing EU legislation, pets moving between NI and the Republic of Ireland must meet the conditions relating to microchipping, vaccination against rabies (with the subsequent 21 day waiting period) and the pet passport.

Worthy of note, however, is the statement from NI's Department of Agriculture and Rural Development that, in recognition of the negligible risk of rabies, there are currently no systematic border checks on pets moving between NI and the Republic of Ireland.

Robert

As Robert says. There appear to be no checks at the border, but you are entering another country, and the rules should be observed , especially as the Brexit vote seams to have triggered some changes in attitude.

No longer a dog owner , but do respect people who like to take the family dogs with them.

PJay

the fat controller - 2017-01-07 11:04 PM

Definitely no border checks, the only way to know you have "crossed the border" is the road signs changing to km.

I take my dog everywhere and never been stopped once or even questioned about it.

I see you live in NI. In theory things should change with Brexit, but can see difficulties to enforce it.

i guess we will have to have very tight controls , on our border with NI, as a way to stop entry of "undesirables "

PJay

Twa Westies - 2017-01-08 12:18 PM

Actually I live in Scotland and because non of us know what will happen post Brexit I want to go to the Republic this year, many thanks for your reply.

Confusion, i think, Was replying to OP

PJay

Archived