Home Insurance While Travelling

Bill Ord

Hope this may be of help to the Motorhoming community. As my house and contents policy renewal arrived recently I have been looking to see if I can find a better or more competitive policy. One of the things that seems to restrict me and I guess others on this forum is the common restriction of 60 days un-occupied each year. There are a few companies that will give longer periods, Comfort Insuran who I insure my van with are just one of many. My renewal request was from the CIS and while trawling through the policy document I could find no mention of limits as long as the house was furnished for habitation. I phoned to enquire and was assured that there are no limits, I asked to have it checked to be doubly sure and was told it was so. This could be of particular use to those of you who travel to Spain etc. for long periods over Winter.

Hi, Bill

Thanks for that its most helpful, I checked recently with our morgage company and they offer a similar house insurance but they require someone to visit the house every week or so and that the tempreature must be maintained above a certain level in the winter months, which i think was around 12 degs

Bill Ord - 2006-12-18 12:31 PM

Hope this may be of help to the Motorhoming community. As my house and contents policy renewal arrived recently I have been looking to see if I can find a better or more competitive policy. One of the things that seems to restrict me and I guess others on this forum is the common restriction of 60 days un-occupied each year. There are a few companies that will give longer periods, Comfort Insuran who I insure my van with are just one of many. My renewal request was from the CIS and while trawling through the policy document I could find no mention of limits as long as the house was furnished for habitation. I phoned to enquire and was assured that there are no limits, I asked to have it checked to be doubly sure and was told it was so. This could be of particular use to those of you who travel to Spain etc. for long periods over Winter.

Bill,

I was with CIS before I changed to Comforts combined policy. We found the CIS system of having local agents very easy to work with.

There were some conditions attached to the CIS policy, the house had to be inspected regurlarly, the local police had to be informed, gas, electricity and water had to be turned off. We left the electricity on as we have blown air heating which we left on set at a low setting. This info is about four years old so it might have changed.

Don

Bill,

Whilst I am sure that this is very helpful & interesting to people of the Motorhome fraternity or anyone staying away for a period of time.

Do you not think that it is more a Chatter Box subject?

Whilst I notice that it has a good heading seem's to me that its more re home policy's . But as it has not got my name on it I suppose you will be allowed ..............Terrible isn't it when people nit pick .

The fact that I actually can see the link & therfore it would suit either one I do not let it bother me on either chatter box or here it's by the by.

just wanted to let you know that we can't be all right all the time.

And what some think is suitable to M/H section others may say suitable for chat . Hope you understand .....But then perhaps I should start mine with ..Hope this may be of help to the Motorhoming community

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

My insurance company has just trebled, yes trebled, my premium because they have changed the wording on their policy to read 'unoccupied for a maximum of 60 days per year'. They now add up all the occasions that the house is unoccupied, long weekends away etc, as well as the main holidays.

I go away 2 or 3 times a year always for less than 60 days and every day that I am away my daughter, who lives next door, comes in, opens or closes the curtains and checks everything is OK. I explained this to the company but they were adamant that the risk as they now perceived it was that the house was unoccupied for 6 months of the year and adjusted the premium accordingly.

Guess what company I shall not be renewing my insurance with this year.

Phil.

Archived