Advice request. Brittany Portsmouth - Bilbao crossing will our freezer make it?

Goneoff

Has anyone managed to keep frozen food frozen on the Brittany Portsmouth - Bilbao crossing which is Brittany quote a sailing time of anywhere between 24 hrs - 32 hrs? Our Dometic freezer has a separate compartment to the fridge which helps I guess. We won’t bother stocking up the freezer if by the end of the crossing everything is thawed.

This is assuming I can't get an electric hook-up and my gas is turned off.

Airstream - 2017-01-10 2:10 PM

We packaged all the food we wished to take as frozen to completely fill the frozen compartment and put two frozen 4 pint bottles of milk in the fridge all taken down to -20 c in the freezer at home

When we arrived in Spain all was still frozen

Ray

We did same kind of thing on a 26 hour trip from Newcastle to Gothenberg - no problems with the food when we got there.

Had the van fridge on for about 12 hours before we packed it.

malc d - 2017-01-10 2:17 PM

We packaged all the food we wished to take as frozen to completely fill the frozen compartment and put two frozen 4 pint bottles of milk in the fridge all taken down to -20 c in the freezer at home

Ray

We did same kind of thing on a 26 hour trip from Newcastle to Gothenberg - no problems with the food when we got there.

Had the van fridge on for about 12 hours before we packed it.

Thats brilliant. thank you

We've done this trip a couple of times. As others have advised first cool your fridge/freezer down as low as it will go. Pre-freeze all your frozen food in your house freezer. Fill motorhome freezer with frozen food and fridge with chilled food. If space, add a couple of freezer blocks in the fridge. Close door and leave it closed until in Spain. I use a fridge and Freezer thermometer and the temperature in the freezer on arrival was about -5.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Thats all I needed to know. Thank you

We've done this trip once, but didn't bother stocking up.

You can buy food in Spain you know, and some of it's quite nice! For us, that's part of the point of going abroad!

But I do realise we all have different priorities and preferences, so won't fall out with anyone over it. Have a great trip!

Tony Jones - 2017-01-10 6:10 PM

We've done this trip once, but didn't bother stocking up.

You can buy food in Spain you know, and some of it's quite nice! For us, that's part of the point of going abroad!

But I do realise we all have different priorities and preferences, so won't fall out with anyone over it. Have a great trip!

Always a good idea to have a couple of days meals handy, as shops don't stay open 24 hours like in UK.

By the way good to see Tony on here , and good luck with the retirement Tony & Liz

PJay

We did as above (ran the fridge on its lowest temp the day before, filled the freezer compartment, and put freezer blocks in the fridge) last May from Palermo to Cagliari, about 12 hours on ferry overnight: no hook-up. So, not so long, but quite a bit warmer, and the frozen remained frozen and the fridge was still cold, on arrival. We didn't have the advantage of a home freezer to get the frozen stuff really cold, so it was only as cold as the fridge itself could get it. Taken with the other comments above, I'd think you'll be OK - the car deck is unlikely to be much above fridge temperature on the crossing, and the van interior will chill off en route, so neither will be much of a source of heat gains.

Goneoff - 2017-01-10 10:41 AM

Has anyone managed to keep frozen food frozen on the Brittany Portsmouth - Bilbao crossing which is Brittany quote a sailing time of anywhere between 24 hrs - 32 hrs? Our Dometic freezer has a separate compartment to the fridge which helps I guess. We won’t bother stocking up the freezer if by the end of the crossing everything is thawed.

This is assuming I can't get an electric hook-up and my gas is turned off.

The following 2012/2014 forum discussion mentions an on-board-ship 230V hook-up being potentially available to motorcaravanners travelling on the UK-Spain Brittany Ferries route

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Keeping-Fridge-Running-on-Portsmouth-to-Spain-Ferry/29129/

(Note that some links posted in the discussion may no longer function.)

Archived