Preheat your ducato engine in cold ambient temp by the Alde system.

monique.hubrechtsgm

By a separate heat exchanger and a pump who is connecting to the cooling circuit of the engine you can transfer heat to the engine. That heat can comes from gas or electric or both working simultaneously. Does that pump fully circulate around the engine? In other words in that heat exchanger are passing two glycol fluids the alde and the fiat. How long it should run? Can you check by the cooling temp of your engine?

The Alde heat-exchanger is described here

http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=58

and installation instructions can be downloaded from here

http://www.alde.co.uk/downloads/alde_2968_install.pdf

As should be apparent from the diagram on Page 2 of the instructions, the Alde boiler’s heating fluid circulates in one system and the motor’s cooling fluid in another. Heat is transferred between the two systems as the fluids circulate through the heat-exchanger but the fluids in the two systems never mix.

Not sure what sort of answer you are expecting from your penultimate question, but I don’t think there is any way of knowing how hot the motor has become without turning on the vehivle’s ignition and checking the vehicle’s temperature-gauge..

Quite a few cars have Auxiliary Diesel preheaters fitted, like Range Rover, BMW, Chrysler. These Webasto, for one, can also be used to heat interiors and not just caravans and Motorhomes. Check out You Tube for what they can do. Kits are also available with control unit. Wet Central heating I believe but there is the hot air ones.

I have the heat exchanger fitted and also the electric motor to warm up the engine. It is quite rare to need the Hab area heating on while travelling and I have never used the Hab heater to warm up the engine in advance of starting it. The British climate is rarely cold enough to warrant this function.

Given the costs of Alde spares and accessories, it is an expensive aftermarket option for something that will not be used often.

A lot of motorhomes have Alde heating systems, but the heat-exchanger option is relatively rare.

The option presents potential warranty-related difficulties as the motorhome converter has to modify the base-vehicle’s original motor-cooling circuit to insert the heat-exchanger and (if fitted) the circulating pump. Should there subsequently be a technical problem relating to the base-vehicle that can be attributed to a cooling system fault, this raises the possibility that the manufacturer of the base-vehicle may claim that this was due to the Alde heat-exchanger modification.

I recall Chausson being asked why they did not attach their Webasto or Eberpacher ‘wet’ heating systems to their motorhomes’ engine cooling circuit and the reply was that it might cause warranty-related disputes.

Although I really like our wet Alde heating system its one drawback is that it can't give instant heat like a blown hot air system can. Hence, in winter temperatures, we always leave home with the heating running on gas to bring the hab area up to a comfortable temperature for when we arrive at our destination.

Now that the base vehicle is out of Peugeot warranty I'm considering fitting this heat exchanger to use waste engine heat rather than gas, however, I can't see it being worthwhile unless it can put something in excess of 3kw of heat into the system. Although I'm sure that the engine has that amount of heat to spare I can't see that small heat exchanger being able to transfer it across and I can't make head or tail of Alde's graph in their PDF. Does anyone here have any experience of how efficient a heat exchanger it is in use?

Steve928 - 2017-01-12 8:51 AM

Although I really like our wet Alde heating system its one drawback is that it can't give instant heat like a blown hot air system can. Hence, in winter temperatures, we always leave home with the heating running on gas to bring the hab area up to a comfortable temperature for when we arrive at our destination.

Now that the base vehicle is out of Peugeot warranty I'm considering fitting this heat exchanger to use waste engine heat rather than gas, however, I can't see it being worthwhile unless it can put something in excess of 3kw of heat into the system. Although I'm sure that the engine has that amount of heat to spare I can't see that small heat exchanger being able to transfer it across and I can't make head or tail of Alde's graph in their PDF. Does anyone here have any experience of how efficient a heat exchanger it is in use?

You have the option of blown air heating by using engine heat. I had this on my last Burstner. It is a two speed fan using a different type of small heat exchanger than the one linked to by Derek. I believe it is made by Truma.

The type of heat-exchanger-radiator + 12V fan heating-unit mentioned by 747 was widely-fitted to motorhomes prior to Truma marketing the Secumotion/Drive-Safe system that permitted an accredited gas-fuelled heater to be operated in a moving vehicle in every EC country.

Not being gas-related, such products were not marketed by Truma, but they were readily available for retro-fitting. Examples are here:

http://www.caravanningequipment.com/onlinestore/cat_944205-Heating-Auxiliary-Air.html

As will be seen from Alde’s description

http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=58

the heat-exchanger’s stated objective is to produce “...warm water for washing and showering” rather than effective air heating throughout a motorhome.

That extra glycol By- pass loop has approval from fiat under some conditions i have never seen. If not used there is shut- off valve. In that case it works as extra radiator, in my case under a chair. I have not ordered that system but was a gift free of charge by burstner. It works very well whit some noise of the circulating pump. My dogs liked it. In any case fiat pillar option 86 should be there. You can have access to these approvals if you can log in at fiat at their builder site service.

Steve928 - 2017-01-12 3:10 PM

Thanks both - I'll give up on that idea then! The Alde system really needs the full 5.5kw output of its gas boiler so a small heat exchanger is never going to come even close to that level of performance.

Here you go Steve

(what could possibly go wrong...?)

IMG_1222.jpg.60cfb3335928924512c27af9f3bcf379.jpg

Archived