When to book the Tunnel on the way home?

Cliffy

We have always booked our outbound and return channel crossings well ahead of leaving the UK. This year we have booked the outbound crossing Portsmouth to Santander for mid May we are going to return via Calais in July but don't want to be tied to a particular date. What is the best way (E-mail or phone) and how long before the our chosen crossing date is optimum to get a reasonable price. I assume that just turning up at the tunnel terminal will be expensive.

I don't have a printer in the van so I will not have a printed booking confirmation. Will that be a problem?

We always travel out on a one way ticket. Then book a return tunnel when abroad on the Internet, confirmation via email. No printer required or indeed anything, the check in machine recognises us by our number plate.

As far as optimum time is concerned, the earlier the better I should think.

Colin17 - 2017-01-21 9:35 PM

We always travel out on a one way ticket. Then book a return tunnel when abroad on the Internet, confirmation via email. No printer required or indeed anything, the check in machine recognises us by our number plate.

As far as optimum time is concerned, the earlier the better I should think.

I do this too, on smartphone, book at least a week before traveling.

I only ever book one way FERRY but print 2 copies of invoice . Then when we are ready to come home just book a couple of days before and change the booking number on the copy. i have booked on the day before with no problems! In fact as has been said they do recognize the reg no at the terminal booking. I guess the tunnel is the same, have only ever used the tunnel on a outbound journey (Tesco Vouchers)

PJay

Maybe need to book earlier if you have dogs with you?

Cliffy - 2017-01-21 9:17 PM

We have always booked our outbound and return channel crossings well ahead of leaving the UK. This year we have booked the outbound crossing Portsmouth to Santander for mid May we are going to return via Calais in July but don't want to be tied to a particular date. What is the best way (E-mail or phone) and how long before the our chosen crossing date is optimum to get a reasonable price. I assume that just turning up at the tunnel terminal will be expensive............

Based on experience of the tunnel over the past 7 years, the earlier you book, the lower the price. You'll need to play around with times and days of the week to get the best deal. Tuesday to Thursday generally gives a better price, ditto shuttles after 14:00 hours. Late bookings in July (school holidays) are liable to be punished, though shuttles to UK should not carry the premium of outbound bookings unless in late July.

Archived