Fiat Comfortmatic advice

happy1

We ended up with an Imala 625. We have been looking for months, the s/h prices seemed to be on par with some of the new vans so we thought it made more sense to go for a lower spec new van rather than a high spec used one. As I said, we have looked at loads, either the layout was wrong or the interior too cramped, the wrong colour wood or interior. We wandered into the showroom and spoke to one of the sales team and I asked if they had any new 'old stock' vans. My wife looked at it and said the magic words 'this is the one' so we sat down and went through the figures, ended up saving about £4k on the new 2017 model price.

We've done just over 500 miles in 3 weeks, with several visits to dealers etc and I'm still working on interior upgrades like finding a draining board and then finding somewhere to store it (didn't come with one) so basically we are waiting for some slightly warmer weather before we venture out.

Cheers

Peter

Brock - 2017-01-26 5:28 PM

Which Hymer model this year, lennie? Not yett tempted by an Arto or Smove?

A B678 Dynamic line, weren't planning to change but got a silly deal, nearly what we paid for our van in part ex and nearly 20% off the new one. Both Hymer and our dealer assured us it will be the cheapest DL sold in 2017, took several days negotiating at Caravan Salon.

Just hoping pound holds up against the Euro so that it doesn't go above £75k and won't need a tracker fitting, a good price considering I speced €15k of extras. Exchange rate doesn't effect base price much due to part ex just the VAT.

Thought we wanted a Carthago even got a very good deal on a Chic but decided we couldn't live with the cramped lounges an poor shower rooms. Don't like the interiors of N&B and Franike's, The Smove is a very expensive low profile, bsae price doesn't look too bad but once you have speced it, €130/140k for a low profile!

A B678 Dynamic line, weren't planning to change but got a silly deal, nearly what we paid for our van in part ex and nearly 20% off the new one. Both Hymer and our dealer assured us it will be the cheapest DL sold in 2017, took several days negotiating at Caravan Salon.

Just hoping pound holds up against the Euro so that it doesn't go above £75k and won't need a tracker fitting, a good price considering I speced €15k of extras. Exchange rate doesn't effect base price much due to part ex just the VAT.

Thought we wanted a Carthago even got a very good deal on a Chic but decided we couldn't live with the cramped lounges an poor shower rooms. Don't like the interiors of N&B and Franike's, The Smove is a very expensive low profile, bsae price doesn't look too bad but once you have speced it, €130/140k for a low profile!

Is 75k limit for a tracker a quoted figure from an insurance company or generalisation?

Tall_Mike - 2017-01-26 11:29 AM

...I think if you think of the gear lever as a switch, rather an a traditional lever it becomes easier, takes a little getting used to, you have either "auto" mode which I guess is "unstable" or it's possible to drop out to "manual" and control gear changes yourself which would be "stable", - have used this occasionally for a little extra shove, - the auto gear changes are focused on economy I think and quite lazy although we have the 130 model which is marginally underpowered...

See my last two postings above regarding what “stable” and “unstable” mean in Fiat-speak.

Fiat Owner Handbooks can be viewed/downloaded via the ‘elum’ website

https://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/home.aspx?languageid=2

These include handbooks for the Comfort-Matic transmission and a host of other documentation.

armstrongpiper - 2017-01-27 10:27 AM

Please don't take offence, but the last few replies to this thread have nothing to do with Comfortmatic discussion.

Neil B

Sometimes it far easier to ask a "quick" question rather than starting a new thread so long as the initial subject is not overtaken.

Derek's reply has EVERYTHING to do with comfortmatic.

No offence taken, happy days :-D

Brock - 2017-01-26 11:32 PM

lennie, Good luck with it, not that you'll need it. It's a cracking looking van with a wonderful interior. We looked at the 594 as that is the absolute maximum end of our length but our 504 still suits us.

Thanks, the 678 at 7.5m is longest we can get on the drive. If we wanted to go larger we could remove some fence panels down the lane and store in the back garden but 7.5 is big enough.

Didn't really want to go that big but it was the only model with a decent kitchen, all the other models have the same kitchen as our Exsis which we are not that impressed with.

More layouts will follow as they expand the range I believe the goal is to replace the B Class.

To keep Neil happy it has a Comformatic. :-D

We have a Vantage Neo with the 150 Comfortmatic and it is fantastic and without a doubt the best option I paid for. The auto gives a very smooth relaxed drive and I would never consider a manual. The auto gives the van more of a premium feel rather than a converted builders van feel. Can't say I have ever had a problem with moving off - it is a 3 1/2 tonne van not a sports car. On steep hills it can be a bit slow to change down and lose momentum but you just anticipate that and knock it down a gear manually in advance - not a problem. Most of the time it just gets on with it by itself. Thorough

Ynrecommended.

Archived