car trailer

armstrongpiper

It would have helped if you had mentioned the Bonds weight. I anticipate it will be well under 500kg in which case a 750 kg gross trailer might serve.

Up to 750kg trailers need not have brakes and are a lot cheaper. However, unbraked trailers increase the outfits braking distance and even behind a 3500 or more gross towing vehicle needs careful consideration.

An ordinary flatbed with a wide ramp and suitable securing points would seem the best bet. If memory serves the early Bonds were single FWD that might make driving aboard interesting.

Any chance of a photo.

Not got one for sale, but you might look out for an Erde CH750 or CH751. These are usually seen as a 2 or 3 motorcyle carrying configuration, but they are a "universal chassis" that can take a full width & length base board instead of motorcycle rails. I have carried 8' x 4' boards on my CH750 (earlier version, bought in 2003) & they sat flat on the chassis between the mudguards. I don't know how wide / long a Bond is, but if it will fit between the mudguards on the trailer, one of these should cope. The current CH751 has the same 625kg payload (basic trailer is 125kg) as the CH750, but the chassis is redesigned & lower. Mine runs on 145x14 car tyres, not sure of the CH751. I put two full size motorcycles (BMW R65LS & Honda NC750S currently) on mine (about 650kg trailer axle weight - 50kg nose weight) & tow abroad as far down as Northern Italy with no problems.

My Ducato 130 X250 pulls it without fuss, including over passes on occasions, and stopping has not been an issue. A "full on" emergency stop from 60mph in Holland a couple of years ago that had the tyres smoking & ABS chattering saw the trailer stay in line & the whole outfit stopped a lot harder than I thought it would be capable of.

HTH

Nigel B

Archived