Granada Site

whisturx

Can anyone recommend a camp site close to Granada for early May ? The only ones I can find seem to have dire warnings of tiny pitches , narrow access roads and low trees ! My Frankia is about average length at 7.6 metres, but is just over 3 metres high. Have had enough nightmare sites over the years !!!

Also reasonably accessible by bus to Granada ?

Visiting Cordoba and Toledo as well , so any advice would be welcome

Hi. We can recommend Reina Isabel at Granada. Its an ACSI site number 2953 and located in the village of La Zubia. Our 7.37m motorhome fitted OK onto the pitch as did some slightly longer ones. Good on site restaurant/bar, reasonable shop and supermarket about 800 yards away. Not a big site so could be full - best to email them. Bus stop outside for central Granada BUT a further 20 minute walk to the Alhambra bus stop. We got a taxi which was only 4 euros each way dearer than the bus fare and no walking! After 3 hours walking round the Alhambra we didn't need another 20 minutes getting back to the bus stop! Make sure you book in advance online for the Alhambra - essential.

We also stopped at Camping El Greco at Toledo which is no longer an ACSI but still OK and also has a restaurant. Bus stop at entrance to campsite into town every 20 minutes. Very easy. Walking tour and cathedral highly recommended.

Hope that helps

Ian

We stayed at Reina last April no problems for us at 7.2m.

We found booking online for Alhambra impossible needed to book about 6 months in advance also is says a certain percentage of tickets on sale on the day at the gate they appear to be telling porkies.

Not a problem the campsite has access to their booking site and will book you tickets for the next day, I think there was a €2 booking fee I think it worked out cheaper than booking online as online you couldn't book without buying the guide. Best way to do it as you can pick your day for the best weather.

Didn't have a problem walking the mile from the bus stop to Alhambra I think we spent over 4 hours walking round.

If you get the bus, you get back on at the same stop, we spent an hour walking about trying to find out where to get the bus back from, it just goes round in a loop.

Yes, we would certainly recommend Reine Isobel for Granada and the restaurant was a real plus when we were there in 2011. As recommend - do pre-book for the Alhambra.

We've used Camping Municipal Ell Brilliante (Caravan Club Guide) for Cordoba several times. Width rather than length or height are a potential problems, partly on entering and especially if they direct you over a narrow bridge to a second area of the site - but doable. Staff are very accommodating and will offer alternative pitches if you're unhappy. The site is sort of in the suburbs and only a short bus ride into the city centre, but there have been recent changes to the road system and our ancient Tom Tom always makes a mess of taking us there.

Surprised you haven't done these fabulous cities before - they're more than worth coping with a little bit of hassle to see them.

PS - They can both be very hot in May so I hope you spec'd an Air Con for the last upgrade.

Regards

V

Many thanks for your replies.

I have found an ACSI No 2955 site about 13 km East of Granada called Las Lomas which is by a reservoir and has some excellent reviews. Bus service to Granada . Slightly in the sticks but quiet.

Yes , Robert we have air con in the cab and bought a system from Transcool from the NEC Show, to use on a site . Not tried it yet but not much call for it with our current weather !!!

lennyhb - 2017-01-27 7:49 PM

As I said you don't need to pre book for Alhambra, the camp sites just log into their booking computer and book you tickets for the next day at the time slot you want.

I disagree with those who state you don't need to pre book. I stayed at Los Lomas and they were unable to secure tickets for me during my 4 day visit. Also I tried to buy tickets at the ticket centre but could not secure them. Luckily some Americans took pity on us and gave us their spare tickets for the grounds but of course we couldn't view the Palace and associated buildings.

The local bus service from the site gates to the centre of Granada was great.We walked to the Alhambra from the bus stop but it was a good 30 minutes. There is a bus service but we couldn't find it.

For those with large vans the mountain road to the site is very curvy with the steep side netted as there is evidence of falling boulders and the drop on the other side considerable but safe unlike some mountain roads I have been on. I don't like heights but found it to be fine and of course the fact the bus negotiates this road frequently means it must be OK for large vehicles.

The pitches are of a good size and easily accessible.

Further point about tickets for the Alhambra. Despite the campsite staff saying that you did not need to book, we did book online and were very glad we did. We visited on January 13th and the day before all online tickets for our morning session were sold out! We managed to get tickets for a 2pm general entry and a 3pm entry to the palace. Even at that time of the year the place was busy with tour buses en masse in the coach park!

If you buy the simplest ticket for the Alhambra and Generallife then you are not required to buy a tour guide.

Finally - use the official website https://www.alhambradegranada.org/en/info/buyalhambratickets.asp

It is a bit torturous but stick with it and use google translate feature.

You then pick up your actual tickets at the entrance booths using your credit card that you used to reserve your tickets. AND you must provide proof of identity at the ticket desk with your credit card, passport or photo driving licence. This is all to stop ticket touts buying up the tickets and reselling.

Also if you (like us) claimed an age concession rate (over 60) you have to show something with your date of birth on it as proof of age.

A fair bit of grief but worth it in my opinion.

Many thanks for all your help. I will probably head for Las Lomas as the site has an excellent review and thanks Mike for the advice to the pitch sizes and road to the site. I think the Sierra Nevada site in Granada will be extremely busy early May.

Having been wedged between parked cars and a low roof in a back street in Croatia scraping the length of the awning , I am a bit more cautious with city sites !!

Archived