Sand Ladders Anybody?

Vernon B

I see deploying "sand ladders" was suggested in a recent MMM letter as a means of getting off wet ground. Apparently these things have evolved from the military and are now favoured by 4x4 types who actually use their vehicles off road - no I haven't made that up. The writer said they were very effective and could be conveniently strapped to the rear roof ladder.

My website searches have come up with a number of examples but all of these are quite heavy (the lightest I've come across being 11Kg so two would be equivalent to carrying another cycle on the back) and much longer than I think you'd need for two wheel drive and getting back on firm ground when you'd parked up in the knowledge that things might be a bit tricky.

I wondered if anyone had come across a version more appropriate to our load carrying capacities - I know there are flimsey plastic mats available but these have proved useless for shifting a 3.5t Ducato.

Any suggestions? Don't want to spend the winter marooned or have to go cap in hand to a 4x4'er!

Vernon

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I failed to spot that earlier thread Richard which certainly gives the problem a thorough airing. The Waffles appear to meet my needs but at that price you'd need to be pretty naive to leave them displayed on your rear ladder.

From the discussions it appears that the old British instinct of cobbling something together is still alive and kicking, so there only remains one question. Are Tesco bread crates better than Adsa's?

For more years than I care to remember we, H.M.Coastguard, used our cliff ladders to get out off tricky sand and or mud, inspite of our Land Rovers being fitted with sand tyres. The original rope with wooden rungs were the best, but the later steel wire and aluminium tubular rungs were O.K. lighter but not as good as the old heavier rope and wood. How about making your own??? Perhaps aluminium angle rungs and light steel rope threaded through, apex upwards??? Any DIY ideas???

Archived