Japanese campervan power supply

ukstan

hello, i have a toyota lucida campervan, one of a very few converted by toyota themselves. It has a leisure battery which powers the lights, clock and the 12v sockets but the mains power in socket is a very strange looking thing which i have never seen before. It has the name American Denki on it. I have taken out the 110 to 12v inverter it had inside and want to alter it to 220v but i would like to find a plug that fits straight in to the power in socket rather than changing it over to a european one. I have included some pics of the socket. Does anyone have any idea where I can get the appropriate plug for it ?

Thanks in advance

Presumably this is a "grey" import, the power connection is presumably appropriate to the country from which it was imported, possibly Japan.

If bought from a UK dealership, why not go back to them and ask for a usable socket or lead.  Presumably it was sold for UK use?

However, I'd guess it will be easier (and probably cheaper) to bite the bullet and fit a standard European power socket, than to source a Japanese plug of appropriate pattern.

I agree with Brian,

The existing 110v mains input very likely does not conform to our legal requirements. You should get a 16 amp blue bulk head mounted plug fitted behind a waterproof cover. You should also get the mains wiring and distribution system (Circuit breakers/ fuses etc) within the van checked by a competant person to ensure it is safe and conforming to the EEC and UK regs.

Don,t take risks with mains systems - do it right!

Good luck

Clive

The wiring inside is perfectly OK, i have checked it out, and i dont want to start hacking great holes in the side of the van to install a european style socket just for the sake of a lack of a plug. All i need to do is locate a plug and change the one i have to the new one on the power lead

Are you qualified to make such assesments? Are you sure its legal and safe?

Totally different regulations apply above 110 volts.

In the UK "Fairground" regulations are the basis of the rules that apply to 110 volt systems.

Be carefull.

C.

Archived