Air awnings for motorhome

DAMAR

I have an outdoor revolution oxygen air. Mine is specifically designed for caravans but it fits my hymer ok. It isn't a drive away one tho. It is very easy to put up by putting the bead into the omnistor rail and then inflating the tube. I've been in some very strong winds in Spain and it doesn't move around a lot and where other awnings were damaged due to poles snapping ours was ok. All in all the outdoor revolution one seem very well made with quality rip stop material.

We have Kampa Driveaway Awning with Air poles - Mid Size I believe.

While it is roomy and large, it is extremely heavy when packed away, so much so that I hesitate to take it sometimes. It goes up easily enough once you know how - A lot of swearing the first time, and a bit less the second, but it get's easier. The second time I tried to put it up upside down, with the tent underneath the base, easier than you would think to do until I realised my error.

The main problem is getting it back in it's bag - It is almost impossible to roll it tightly enough, and heavy, so we have comedy sketch of both my wife and I rolling on the ground on top of the thing to get it small enough to put away. I think this is unnecessary.

The "tunnel piece doesn't fit very will, - there are loops which I fit over our Fiamma rail on the site of the van, would be better if I bought the proper fixing kit.

It is what it is, serves it's purpose and gives us a fair bit of extra space, pretty robust and weather proof and we can leave it and drive away - We could get the bedrooms and a carpet but haven't done so - but it's a handful to work with and store, nightmare to dry when it's wet because it's so large, we have a very small garden. and sometimes just because the hassle I cannot be bothered to put it up, especially for a 1 night stop.

Hi, I have been to see the display at the local dealer at St leonards,. He has a wide selection on his display.

my gut reaction, was that they are very nice, but I was concerned about just how easy it would be to drive away from it going out for the day, and then manoevering back into position and reconnecting it.

I was also concerned about the weight particularly when wet, and how practical it would be to putt up, and dismantle just for an overnight stop.

having had a caravan with full awning in the past, and remembering the effort invilved in erecting and breaking camp , decided the t would not be used just for overnight stops.

as the van has fitted awning, we have some heavy duty straps to use to tie that down, and are now looking into possible windblocker shades.. they are much lighter, and pack down into a carrier bag easily.

also significantly cheaper, but havent yet indulged..

tonyg3nwl

Haven't noticed a problem with the Driveway piece, as long as I take care and return a few inches either way it aligns, the fit of the piece joining the van isn't exact - If the site is secure I tend to leave a ramp as a marker, - simply drive onto the thing, although it does have to be somewhere where I feel it wont get nicked if left.

The "Tunnel piece" provides a porch which links from the Van to the Awning and the awning has it's own door - draughts from under the van are not an issue although we are thinking of getting a skirt, we have a little dog and before now he's gone under the van and come up on the other side with a great smile on his face, - not ideal.

My recommendation is do not buy one.

After much research our eventual purchase was a Fiamma ultralight privacy room which came on the market in mid 2016.

Of course you need a Fiamma roll out awning to attach it to so if you have then give it some consideration.

This new model is very light - 18Kgs with poles! and compact to store. Outdoor Bits have them on this webpage:

http://www.outdoorbits.com/fiamma-ultra-light-privacy-rooms-c-201_209_727.html

Ours withstood two days of very strong winds two weeks ago here in Spain and 12 hours of continuous heavy rain as well. So they are as good as the marketing!

an Interesting subject as we are just in process of changing from our Burstner to an Autotrail 610SE PVC and have looked at a number of options....including the Air type, and also framed ones.

Two comments arise though, firstly the weight and size when packed, and also all of them seem to be so large in footpint that I have my doubts there would be enough room on the average pitch for them and the motorhome... those which attach as a drive-away all seem to extend from the van by well over three metres, plus then guy ropes.

Our possible alternative, short -term at least, is to retain the side rain blockers, and front sun blocker and continue to use, on the basis what we can probably modify to fit the Omnistor awning which on the PVC is mounted along the roof itself.

I am also looking at 'day tents/rooms' which whilst they don't link to the van, do appear to be more flexible in use, and re much lighter, though I suspect made of a lighter weight fabric. For occasional use however they seem to offer a much cheaper and more useful alternative.

Anyone here with much experience of these, I wonder??

Our van is aprox 6.75 mtrs long, - The awning doesn't extend that far in length by a long way, it does "stick out" a fair way - perhaps 4 mtrs and yes - on the average campsite hard standing plot it wont really fit, - For us - Most of our camping is done at CCC meets which are generally on a field somewhere, - in that situation there is always room.

The guy ropes don't really "intrude" it's possible to make them fairly short so they don't stick out too far.

Weight - I think it weights 23 Kilo fully packed up which is fair old lump to move about and that's without a carpet, additional bedroom etc.

We looked at the earlier Fiamma day rooms- the awning side panels were blindingly expensive at the time about double the cost of our awning and equally heavy, looks like the new 2016 Fiamma Product is an improvement in design and price.

A number of our fellow campers are going down the route of buying a tent, - sometimes small just enough store stray stuff in and keep the van clear, sometimes bigger, - considerably cheaper, lighter, and certainly drive away, although not directly hooked to the van. - you can get them pitched pretty close though... or not to bother, others simply get fed up with the awning and try to sell them on or just leave them in the shed. -

As mentioned it does what it does, my wife is disabled and it is a good place for her to sit, park her scooter, she enjoys art and sometimes sets up her easel in it - to store stuff, set a table up, and it's dry and generally warm, it does extend the living space, so it does have it's plus points as well.

Hi all, my first post. first year of M/H ing!!

We are also thinking of an air awning, saw the Kampa "motor rally pro air" at the Manchester show

and were quite impressed, I have only one reservation, ventilation, on the Caricoa 694, the water and

blown air heater, exhaust to the near side, ie straight into the awning, sounds a bit naughty to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this possible safety problem?

Steve.

We have a a Vango Idris Tall inflatable drive away awning. It's relatively quick and easy to put up and it is very robust. It copes very well with high winds and we find it easy to attach to our Fiamma awning via a 'figure of 8' fitting.

Yes it was a bit pricey (£365 as I recall), but it is MUCH sturdier and easier to put up and take down than our previous fibreglass pole awning. It fits in it's bag really easily.

I know drive-away awnings are not for everyone, but it fits our specific needs perfectly.

Archived