Dogs on sites

david lloyd

I have looked at booking a site near Great Yarmouth (nice site with Hall in its name) for a few nights at the end of February. Four nights - £90 - but checked the fee table. Pitch for two people at that time of year £12.50. Good value - but where did the £22.50 per night come from? A 'surcharge' of £5 per pet - so with two dogs that's an extra £10 PER NIGHT!!!!

I would prefer it if sites just said they don't take dogs.

David

This is presumably an independent and privately owned Site rather than one of the big clubs, which don't charge for dogs.  It is of course entirely up to the Site's owners what they charge and whether to charge extra (as many do) for awning, pets etc.

I was trying to book a pitch near St Andrews recently where there are three sites, all independent of the big Clubs.  One doesn't allow dogs at all and one charges extra for them.  Their site, their choice.  The price structure seemed expensive too and I suspect that these three sites operate something of a monopoly market - pitch fees are £35 per night for a grass pitch and two people with electric hook up in high season.  I was going to be charged £32 in late May.

But £5 per night per dog is a bit steep and they presumably don't really want to encourage people to bring dogs.

Dog tax >:-(

I'd suggest ringing them and enquiring as to why it's so much. Then ask if they'd be willing to waive their 'fee'. If not, simply tell them that price is ridiculous and you'll take your custom elsewhere.

The other option is simply don't declare your dog when you book. I'm not sure how many sites actually go round checking their residents to see if any actually brought a dog along.

I've never been 'caught' yet and my dog is even bigger than I am. If ever a site does say 'oi, you didn't pay tax for that dog' I shall simply plead ignorance to their charges and say I wasn't aware.

Yes I have fired off an email to the site expressing my disappointment that a site we like the look of charges such a large fee for dogs without providing any visible, physical amenities such as dog walk or exercise area that would go some way to justifying the 'surcharge'.

Had a fairly prompt response but it was a system generated email saying they were pleased I had contacted them and someone would reply as soon as possible.

Will let you know the outcome

David

I look on any charge for Dogs above a pound a night as a rip off, unless it has a fantabulous dog walk and dog showers. Mostly the charges are to discourage dog owners in the first place. In my case it works.

As you say, i would much rather them just say No Dogs.

Newsflash- no reply to my email from this independent site. So, instead of paying £40 for our two little dogs (pictured left) to stay with us in the Motirhome we will find another site. Probably never get to see C********* Hall caravan park.

There's always another one to try.

David

RogerThat - 2017-02-06 6:35 PM ......The other option is simply don't declare your dog when you book. I'm not sure how many sites actually go round checking their residents to see if any actually brought a dog along.I've never been 'caught' yet and my dog is even bigger than I am. If ever a site does say 'oi, you didn't pay tax for that dog' I shall simply plead ignorance to their charges and say I wasn't aware.

I see that you advertise your vehicle tracking business in your posts.  Should we conclude from your post that you are a dishonest cheat in your business life as well as when you are taking your dog to campsites?

StuartO - 2017-02-09 9:40 AM
RogerThat - 2017-02-06 6:35 PM ......The other option is simply don't declare your dog when you book. I'm not sure how many sites actually go round checking their residents to see if any actually brought a dog along.I've never been 'caught' yet and my dog is even bigger than I am. If ever a site does say 'oi, you didn't pay tax for that dog' I shall simply plead ignorance to their charges and say I wasn't aware.

I see that you advertise your vehicle tracking business in your posts.  Should we conclude from your post that you are a dishonest cheat in your business life as well as when you are taking your dog to campsites?

No my friend, because unlike those campsites, we don't rip off our customers (lol)

If someone has bragged about habitually cheating other people and lying his way out of a challenge when caught in the wrong, I'm afraid I've concluded that he's not a trustworthy person.

And if he's a businessman who has done his bragging on a public forum while advertising his business, I conclude that he's not very clever either.

As Dennis Healy used to say; if you are in a hole stop digging.

I agree with rogerthat, that a Campsite that tries to charge 2 pounds per dog per night is not very honest either, especially if they provide no dog facilities. Perhaps we should ALL avoid such dishonest sites. Whether we have a dog or not.

Why dont they just say, Look, we dont like dogs, dont bring them here.

I agree that charging for dogs when there are no special facilities for dogs is a cheek and, as a dog owner, I would go elsewhere.

But their site, their charges, and disagreeing with their charges doesn't justify cheating and lying in your dealings with them.

Rayjsj - 2017-02-10 10:16 AM

I agree with rogerthat, that a Campsite that tries to charge 2 pounds per dog per night is not very honest either, especially if they provide no dog facilities. Perhaps we should ALL avoid such dishonest sites. Whether we have a dog or not.

Why dont they just say, Look, we dont like dogs, dont bring them here.

I confess I have paid £2 per dog per night to a site where I particularly wanted to be - albeit reluctantly but £5 PER DOG - PER NIGHT for two dogs - That's pretty outrageous.

David

Archived