Easy Re-MOT, Re-Tax and Reinsure

StuartO

My MH was first registered on March 1st, so my annual redocumentation happens in February, usually a chilly day for an MOT, as today so I always take it for an hour's run to warm it up properly and exercise the brakes.  The insurance and Tax reminders had also arrived so after a successful MOT and a phone call to re-insure, it was the work of a few minutes to re Tax the vehicle on line.

The MOT recertification is done live on line by garages these days so I wasn't surprised that DVLA were up to date with that, even though only a few minutes had passed when I went on line to re-Tax but the renewal date for the insurance was 23rd February (i.e. before expiry of the current tax period) and I only renewed this morning, so I anticipated that the insurance database might not yet have been updated since then and my attempt to re-Tax might baulk.  In fact it went through straight away, so it's all pretty slick these days.

Insurance was £264 including protected NCB, foreign use for up to 180 days and five named drivers (I put all our middle-aged kids on it as a get-us-home contingency) and road tax was £165, same as last year.

Got a ferry booked for immediately after the Peterborough Show so let the new season commence!

I noticed something similar when I taxed a car re insurance renewing before tax renewal date. The DVLA system must work on whether or not a vehicle is insured on the day you use the system rather than on the day the tax is due. A potential loophole, I would have thought.

Robert

Hi, it's worth checking after the date the insurance is due to start to look on www.askmid.com that it's on the register,as I know from experience the insurance companies don't always do it. If you are stopped by the police and they check on the register and you're not on it you will not be allowed to move your van. Even if you can show a paper certificate you will not be recognised as being insured.

Daft but true.

George

The re mot in Belgium is not done by garages of your own but by independent GOCA stations approved by the the traffic government. In the Netherlands it is done by approved garages as i understand the same as in the UK.These GOCA stations are a commercial outfit and not owned by the government. But they carry a different hat than your garage.

George.. - 2017-02-11 5:20 PM

Hi, it's worth checking after the date the insurance is due to start to look on www.askmid.com that it's on the register,as I know from experience the insurance companies don't always do it. If you are stopped by the police and they check on the register and you're not on it you will not be allowed to move your van. Even if you can show a paper certificate you will not be recognised as being insured.

Daft but true.

George

Not in my experience. I was stopped in my car in March 2015 having renewed the insurance four days before. The Police ANPR system showed it as uninsured as the MID hadn't been updated. I explained that I'd just renewed and that I had a paper certificate at home to prove it. Was told that this often happens and given an instruction to produce my PAPER certificate at my local Police station which is what I did later that day (renewal done over the internet so the certificate is something I'd printed off). Certificate accepted and nothing further heard. Since then I now carry a copy of the current certificate in all my vehicles (which is, probably, good practice anyway). I do check MID after the renewal date for peace of mind however.

FD

Back around 1930 The first compulsory Insurance Act stated that the insurance did not come into effect until the certificate was delivered into the hand of the insured. Obviously the requirement now is to be registered on the national database and bit of easily copied bits of paper work are barely worth the paper they are written on.

Archived