Ramoska cooking

sandalwood

Some folk swear by the Ramoska, despite their being very expensive. However, the heating element is in the lid. As far as I am aware, heat RISES, so where is the point in putting the heat at the top? It should be at the bottom. Also, if you lift the lid off to have a look inside, you are completely removing the heat source - whereas if there were an element at the bottom you wouldn't be disturbing the cooking too much.

We did have a Ramoska - briefly. It was fairly promptly returned to the shop, and I was glad to have the not inconsiderable amount of expenditure refunded. However, as I said, this is heresy to many folk. Each to their own.

We have 2 remouskas , one in the van and one in our house great bit of kit , roasts meat very well , roast potatoes etc, cook sausage rolls from frozen, heat pies to perfection, yes the heating element is in the lid but hey ho that is the essence of the gadget, I took one apart to see what the element looked like, it is a coil of wire just like old fashoned electric fire elements, the element is easily replaced if needed, we can fit a large chicken in ours easily, low wattage so economical to use , highly recomend them, I believe that Lakeland have sole distribution rights to them.

We had a remoska at home (second hand) for ages before hubby (who does most of the cooking now) decided to give it a try just to see how it compared to the normal oven, the slow cooker and the halogen oven he has ... he loves the remoska! Perfect for cooking joints of meat as they come out absolutely scrumptious, much better than any of the equipment to cook them in. He's used it for other bits and bobs too and wouldn't be without it now!

We also have brand new and boxed latest versions of the Grand and Standard but hubby's quite happy with his old Standard model so they're up for sale if anyone is interested ... just drop me a PM.

We have 2 Remoskas - small/standard one in the van and large one in the kitchen at home.

Mrs mikebeaches loves cooking with them. The one at home is now used for about 99% of cooking in preference to the oven in the range cooker. It's so convenient and uses so little energy compared with traditional (electric) oven - we don't have any gas where we are at home.

Whether it's baking cake, making crumbles, baking fish, roasting veg and potatoes, roasting chicken and other meats, cooking sausages, cooking oven chips - the list is almost endless. :-D

brom - 2017-02-10 9:18 PM

Some folk swear by the Ramoska, despite their being very expensive. However, the heating element is in the lid. As far as I am aware, heat RISES, so where is the point in putting the heat at the top? It should be at the bottom. Also, if you lift the lid off to have a look inside, you are completely removing the heat source - whereas if there were an element at the bottom you wouldn't be disturbing the cooking too much.

We did have a Ramoska - briefly. It was fairly promptly returned to the shop, and I was glad to have the not inconsiderable amount of expenditure refunded. However, as I said, this is heresy to many folk. Each to their own.

A bottom heated one IMV cooks less evenly as the items are sitting on the base so they are more likely to burn and this also prevents the heat circulating, with the Remoska element being at the top and not touching the contents it allows the heat to circulate more evenly and it is also transmitted through the 'pan' itself which gets hot so gets underneath the food being cooked ... much prefer the Remoska to a 'bottom heat' appliance.

My OH half has had a Remoska in our MH for many years and has spurts of using it and being enthusiastic enough to try more adventerous things from the cookbook, as well as staples like jacket potatoes, chicken portions, pork chops, sausages and the like, which (I can say as the guy who eats them) it does extremely well. She baked a cake in it a couple of times using a packet mix they sell in French supermarkets but I was less impressed by that.

Remoskas were invented in what is now the Czech Republic as a low wattage cheap cooker in the communist era of limited resources but the idea of having the heating element in the pan lid does work extremely well and it's now sold by Lakeland as a luxury device at a premium price!  (They are probably still very cheap to buy in the Czech Republic but Lakeland has a UK monopoly.)

It suits the MH life because you can probably run it on a 3 amp power supply and it does remarkably effective substitution for a space-consuming proper oven.  We don't have an oven and although we had a fitted combination/microwave oven but we took it out years ago.  The combination of our Remoska, gas hob and a gas BBQ covers our needs very well.

We use our at home and in the van, brilliant cooks most things fairly quickly and using low wattage. It was godsend in Morocco where voltage on sites is low.

We bought our from Lakeland in Windsor they have a section upstairs that sells reconditioned equipment a great saving on the normal price and they still give a warranty. Not sure if they do this in other stores though.

Archived