Sealey 12v Battery Drop Tester

arthur49

Anyone had any experience of this tester? Rather than let my batteries 'die' and possibly damage the charger/alternator, I thought it might be an idea to invest in one of these.

I have 2 x Lion Brand 110aH leisure batteries (from Eurocarparts) about 2 years old which appear OK but they've not been 'stressed' for 6 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RA14PI/ref=dra_a_ms_mr_hn_xx_P1250_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21&ascsubtag=3db6b7a564cc9c9b3b3e090d357a7b09_S

You do not need to "stress" a true leisure battery not is it a good idea. Proper leisure batteries are made to give a steady output over time. The best way to test them is to put a load ( a couple of old headlight bulbs ) on them,measure the current and check the capacity in amp hours until the voltage drops to around 11v.

H

Arthur, as Hallii says stressing them will shorten their life, as will discharging them too low.

Please don't take any battery down to 11.5v, they will have their life desperately shortened.

Lions are quite a fragile battery so likely to suffer even more, they are only shallow discharge batteries, So suggest absolute max 50% discharge, ideally 30%.

For a Lion 12.2v is about the lowest we would suggest, especially as yours are already well into retirement..

They are not great batteries at all. When we were cutting batteries open in 2012, Lions and Enduroline where amongst the most desperate state internally at even quite young ages.

See the attached chart on discharged state and the relevant voltage, a chart published by Yuasa as to discharge levels and voltages.

Some of the charts on the web are out of date and don't reflect modern technology changes.

As we have said before Powerframe technology batteries like the Varta LFD and Bosch L range have the same voltage scale as VRLA batteries, so use this section when working out discharge levels.

803142174_BatterystateofChargeChart.jpg.5613bed037a012b5b628fc546bc39288.jpg

Thanks gents. My use of the word 'stress' was ill chosen. What I was driving at was they'd not been used in earnest - off grid - for 6 months. They have never been below 12.4v

Think I'll replace them anyway before the Spring comes and before Vartas increase in price again

Archived