Hymer B590 Starline problem: currently in Malaga, technician required

bobtomlinson

I am currently in Torrox Malaga with my wife camping in our motorhome.

The other day I overloaded an electrical circuit as a result of which I no longer get power to the electrical sockets on hook up. However when the inverter is on, electrical power to the sockets is restored.

I will not detail the tests I have performed here but the likely culprit in the Waeco MSP1512 inverter which is not allowing mains current to pass through when switched off. Otherwise it seems to be working fine.

Does anyone know of a motorhome engineer resident locally who can help please? Regards

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I have booked my van in to an approved Hymer workshop in Malaga next Friday and I hope that their technician can fix the problem.

In fact I have had two electricians investigate for me.

As the inverter is wired directly to the plugs in the van all the evidence suggests that the inverter, when working properly, has an internal relay which allows current to pass through when turned off.

The likelihood is that this relay, or an internal fuse supporting it, burnt out when I overloaded the circuit.

I shall post a follow up after Friday if the problem is fixed as it may help others.

The Hymer workshop in Málaga is:

AUTOCARAVANAS HIDALGO S.L.

Poligono Industrial La Moraga, parcela M2B

29130 - Alhaurín de la Torre (Málaga)

GPS: N 36º 40´´ 19.4" / W 04º 34´45"

Tel: 952 91 93 43

My story has an unexpected ending.

To recap, whilst on the campsite here in Southern Spain, I overloaded the electricity circuit in my van and as a result lost power to the sockets when on hookup.

Two of the campers here (one is a household electrician) were kind enough to investigate the problem and the consensus was that a switch or relay in the Waeco inverter had burnt out. When working properly, it should allow mains power to pass to the electrical sockets when the inverter is switched off.

So, I made an appointment at the Hymer workshop in Málaga on Friday morning and met the technician who, unfortunately, could not speak English. The dealership receptionist could speak some English and she joined us in the van to help with communications whilst the technician disconnected the Waeco and tested the adjacent circuit breaker. He proved that power was reaching the inverter but not leaving it.

So, he advised that the only solution to the problem would be to fit a new inverter which would have to be ordered. He reassembled the circuit breaker and reconnected the wiring.

The receptionist took the serial number of my van to check if the inverter was still under guarentee. We waited in reception and after 30 or so minutes she came back with the information that the guarantee expired in March 2016 two years after the van was manufactured.

She explained that a new inverter, fitted, would cost about 2000€, and agreed to email me when she had a price from the manufacturer which would allow her to provide a more considered estimate. The cost surprised me as I had inverters fitted on my last van for a fraction of this price. I checked on Amazon and indeed the Waeco MSP 1512 sells for £960. I don't quite know what is so special about this one.

We arrived back at the campsite last night and hooked up on our pitch. Several of our neighbours knew of our electrical problem and were interested to find out if the Hymer workshop had fixed it.

There are some friendly and helpful people here on long term stays (mostly retirees) and two of them suggested that I ordered the inverter from Amazon and they would fit it for me.

Much to my surprise I plugged in the kettle last night, with the inverter turned off and it worked! Power had been restored and the familiar green light appeared on the inverters display to tell me that current was passing through.

So problem solved. Thanks for your contributions. It seems that the Hymer technician, in disconnecting the box, reset it to working condition. Ninians post (above) was spot on.

One final point. Nothing I say here should be taken as an inference that the Hymer technicians efforts were less than adequate. Far from it. I was pleased that they booked me in at short notice and fixed the problem albeit without realising it.

For my part, I am delighted not to have to shell out 2000€ or £960.

Archived