CAMBAS electrics in new fiat chassis

soppytugger

Hi folks

I have recently got a new vehicle and the dealer has advised me that if we are considering fitting any new 12v appliances (ie rear view camera, sat nav , alarms, tow bars etc.) To wait until they have had confirmation how to install these into the new fiats electical wiring loom.

Apparantly the new wiring system is called CAMBAS (I think?). Although the dealer is extremely helpful, I believe they will not have the info until after christmas. The reason I am hoping for a quick response from you guys. We should like to 'treat' ourselves to a little xmas pressie.

Do any of you know if there are any issues with the new wiring of 12v appliances within the vehicles wiring loom/system. I am sure the dealer will establish the information. But can any techies out there add any comments.

Thanks in advance.

I think you will find its CAN BUS. Its a data system that runs around the vehicle and feeds each of the electrical NODES around the vehicle. A "node" for example could be a rear light cluster or the drivers display. It may just have a Chassis and +12 volt supply to it plus two control lines called CAN LO and CAN HI. It dramatically reduces the amount of wiring in the vehicle but makes its an absolute pig to fault find / add onto if you don,t have a laptop and the appropriate software. But it is the way things are going in the automotive field. It has already gone that way in the industrial vehicle market. Also you will find that the system voltage in a few years will rise to a much higher level so that those power wires that remain can be even lighter. When this happens any 12 volt equipment will be powered from a DC-DC converter which will run from the battery.

Exciting isn,t it?

Good luck

Clive

As Clive says its CAN BUS which stands for Controller Area Network. Many vehicles have been using CAN BUS systems for a good few years now and adding extra equipment should not present major problems, I know 'cos i've been doing it for years! Equipment that needs to read vehicle signals, road speed for example for a cruise control or built in sat nav, can be done using a CAN BUS interpreter (although most vehicles still have a clean speed signal somewhere). Merceded Sprinters for example have had CAN BUS for about five years or so but I still regularly install extras on them.

Modern alarms can use the CAN BUS system to trigger indicators, horn etc as well as picking up door switch triggers.

Most vehicles using CAN BUS systems still have a conventional ignition switch with permanent 12 Volt live feed, accessory trigger feed, full ignition on feed etc so extras like cameras are absolutely no problem.

D.

Thanks Dave

Actually, the salesman who I contacted came back to me last night with similiar info. (I think, when I first enquired, his service guys were out for xmas drink etc at the time).

They are going to fit the alarm and camera tomorrow morning.

Have a good xmas.

Archived