Bergues aire northern France

spospe

We stayed on the free aire at Bergues in early November and the adjacent sports field was being extensively redeveloped. This work was obviously going to affect the aire to some degree and may even lead to an upgrade from being just an overnight parking spot without facilities (other than rubbish bins) to a full-blown aire with water etc.

Has anyone stopped there recently and can give an update?

I can’t advise on the effect of the stadium development on the aire at Bergues, but there’s a very negative comment (dated 15 December 2016) on the campingcar-infos website

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=6662

As there’s already a ‘proper’ aire de services on the north side of Bergues at Camping Vauban (open April to October) it seems a mite unlikely that equivalent facilities would be installed at the parking area by the stadium.

I read the report on the campingcars-info site and think that the reporter just had a bad experience on the day. We have stopped at the aire many times and always found it to be OK (and very handy for the town).

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has used it recently and could reassure me that it is still open.

I too would be interested in an update on the Bergues aire, it’s one that we use often. We noted the improvements to the sports fields when we were there last December but there seemed to be no encroachment on the parking area.

A suggestion. Should the Bergues aire be unavailable there is one about 8 miles to the east at Hondschoote. The services are set just off the road in a wide pavement. The dumps are free and jetons are available from one of the local businesses for EHU and water. The parking, which is free is ‘around the corner’.

Latitude North : 50.97632 or 50° 58' 34,752''

Longitude East : 2.58031 or 2° 34' 49,116''

I cannot vouch for these co-ordinates as I took them off the internet and have not actually used them.

Cattwg :-D

Apparently the aire by the stadium at Bergues is currently still available.

I emailed the tourist office at Bergues as follows:

"Le parking à Rue Maurine Cornette (à côté du stade) - est-ce ouvert encore pour les camping-cars, s'il vous plaît?”

Their reply yesterday was:

"Merci de l'intérêt que vous portez à notre ville, l'emplacement pour les campings-cars est toujours accessible, il n'y a pas de changements.”

Details of the aire at Hondschoote are here.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=3167

The service pedestal is located on Rue de Bergues on the corner of Impasse Spinnewyn (which is where parking is available).

According to GOOGLE Maps, GPS co-ordinates for the service pedestal are N 50.976378, E 2.580451

Thanks for the update Derek. My French would definitely not be up to emailing the Information Office. :-S

There would be many disappointed campers if that aire closed. We have noticed quite a few of the same people using it over the years.

John :-D

• 8 months later...

I know that this is an old thread, but here is some feedback.

We stayed at the Bergues Aire a few days ago and it is operating normally. There are bins for rubbish collection, but no water facilities at all.

The Arie is still free and the access road is now fully tarmacked.

No problems of any kind to report (this is a popular Aire and can take any size of 'van)

Archived