MILLAU BRIDGE

JohnP

Guest Frank Wilkinson

It really depends on the time of year. Last year we were on a largish site at Millau. It was on the River Dourbie where it joins the Tarn at Millau and it was excellent and quiet in late June. In August of course it's a different story.

The main commercial sites on the river (either Tarn or Dourbie) have the advantage of being a few minutes' walk from the town.

There is an exhibition centre with pictures of the bridge in its various stages of construction. It's well signposted and worth a visit. The views from it are magnificent.

We had no need to drive over the bridge as we weren't going any farther south but of course we just had to! We drove to the first junction a few miles down the road and then drove back over the bridge to the north of Millau. Superb!

We were there in September nice and quite, we stopped on a site next to the river Tarn, they do the paragliding from the hills overlooking the site(i wish I'd had the bottle to have a go). Call in at the visitors center just before you cross the bridge as there is a museum and you can walk up to a view point over looking Milau and great views of the bridge.

Hi - how long would it take to drive down to the bridge - say from Calais ? Would it be best to stop on the way ? I've been wanting to see the bridge for ages but not had the guts to drive that far in France yet! I've only been once and that was round Brittany.

Hi Mags..gues he answer to that is somewhat dependant on how you crive......Autoroute Express suggests its just under 600 miles, so quite a way really! Mostly good roads perhaps, but at least one overnight, or one very long day after an overnight x-ing perhaps. Some good sites in Millau, from memory about 3 or 4 just by the river, and the town is well worth at least overnight stop. We have often stopped, before the new bridge was built, on the way to the Med. Enjoy.

Hi Mags we went over this august, after arriving at dunkirk at 22.00 we parked up at some services about 20 miles down the road to paris, left their at about 08.00 in the morning and drove until about 20.00 when we stopped for the night at some services about 60 miles short of the bridge.

I rolled for most of the time at about 60mph with no hold ups, so you could do it in a day with some hard driving.

Olley

Thanks for the replies - I didn't realise it was about 600 miles - I think I might take the slow road - if there is one and do a couple of stops on the way - saves the passengers getting too bored!!! ( and arguing).

All being well I'll make the effort and go in May - might even join France Passion as well after reading about it on one of the threads. Shame I can only take my son out of school for 10 days ! Roll on school leaving age! ;-)

We use no autoroutes in France with the Motorhome and saunter down to Milhau over 3 days normally. Knowing that should there be any crisis at home we can be back (using the Autoroutes) within 24 hours from anywhere in France. http://www.camping-aguessac.com/version_uk.html

Typically we spend a week at Aguessac winding down and checking out the area on our motorcycles before we saunter down to La Tamarissiere (Agde) for the second week. Then two more weeks exploring uncharted territory.

We did find a very good metal fabrication welding shop in Aguessac last year where my kick start was welded back together.

Retirement has its advantages!

Having driven over the Millau bridge earlier this year I did not get to see much of the views from it, glad though it was designed by a British architect, as a side issue, lets have some comments of the most spectacular bridges motorhomers have driven over in their vans, I will perhaps start the ball rolling with The Golden Gate Bridge in U.S.A. Regards chas

Hi,

We have diven from Miami to Key West over the 7 mile bridge with the atlantic on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other.

We have also driven from New Orleans Northwards to Montgomery and as you leave New Orleans you drive over a lake only 4 feet deep but 25 miles long. Probably the longest bridge in the world, but not the longest span.

Richard

Guest JudgeMental

Have not crossed the Millau yet

Have crossed the Golden gate but not in a motorhome and likewise the keys down to Key west, a great drive!

Impressed with the Denmark - Sweden, Ostersund bridge. crossed this for the first time in 2000 when it opened.

As implied earlier you really need to get off the bridge and view it from the town - crossing it can be a little disappointing unless you're fortunate enough to experience "driving alongside the clouds". Even the views from the viewpoint don't do the engineering achievement justice because the structure is so delicate and fine. For that reason Pont Du Gard still has the edge - another impressive "bridge" in France that was not designed by the French!

By the way do take the cautionary road signs seriously. We we're travelling north and witnessed a small care travelling south that almost completely lost control apparently due to the complex cambers on the downhill stretches/curves.

Clive - 2006-12-28 5:26 PM British Architect Norman Foster, but dont forget he also designed that "wobbley" bridge in London.!! The Millau Viaduct is far more striking when viewed from the surrounding hills. Driving over it was a bit of an anti-climax.

Norman is a architect, so only the (very good) concepts were his.  The wobbly engineering was by Arups.  Credit where it is due!

We visited the area in august this year and saw the bridge from various locations as we toured the area. We stayed at Le Rozier on the Gorges du Tarn some 17kms north east of Millau. We stayed on one of the campsites although there is an aire on the main street opposite the little supermarket. Half a dozen restaurants, some super bakers, plenty of walks and info on them, canoeing on the River Tarn and strangest of all, vultures flying over the area and the Vulture info centre on the Gorge de la Jonte. Soaring vultures are something else, marvellous to watch from the top of the Gorge.

The bridge is pretty impressive too, infact the whole of that motorway from Clermont Ferrand down to the coast takes some beating fo a spectacular road,

happy wandering

alan

Watching it comming together over a few years has been very interesting. Just look at the droop as they push out the first section. After this they didn,t fit the upper turrets until after all the roadway was in place. But I got the picture!

C.

2113882849_Viaduct1stsection.jpg.f69a23f9f4f18bcb5e30a1c813326d67.jpg

I saw the "megastructures" programme when it was shown originally, an absolutely breathtaking achievement!!!

By the way, wasn't the original design of the bridge based on one from a Frenchman from some time earlier that Sir Norman 'updated'???? 8-)

Clive - 2006-12-28 10:21 PM Watching it comming together over a few years has been very interesting. Just look at the droop as they push out the first section. After this they didn,t fit the upper turrets until after all the roadway was in place. But I got the picture! C.

Hmmmmm.  I bet that caused a bit of panic stricken re-calculation!  Even the tension cables are visibly drooping.  Methinks someone forgot to check the bending strength on the deck when not suspended.  No wonder they left the towers off after that!  Collapse must have been looming.

• 6 months later...

Clive,

Your campsite at Agguessac I notice you say not far from the bridge .

Question do we go over the bridge on the way to Bezier then start to look or after the bridge?.

Also is it possible to saty without booking or best to book end of July?

ta very much

That should read before or after I think I have caught your bug

Hello Michelle,

We don,t use Autoroutes and only went over the viaduct once just so we could say we did. Aguessac used to be on the main road into Millau when going south and was a place where long queues existed - until the A75 opened and the viaduct was completed. The camp site is the Camping Municipal of Aguessac, the entrance is off the main road and few yards from a "Y" junction where the left fork takes one over a small bridge which leads to the back road to Millau.

Have fun

Clive

PM me if you want more detailed information and I will get my chief navigator to provide in depth instructions.

Archived