Your best Campsite Guide for the UK

enodreven

Guest Frank Wilkinson
mom - 2006-12-22 9:37 AM

We carry "Great Sea View Camping and Cavan Sites in Britain" with us.  Some lovely sites to be found round the coast.

http://touringandtenting.com/articles/caravanning-news-and-articles/sea-view-camping-and-caravanning.html

A superb tip Mom. I love sites with sea views and I've just ordered the book. Another example of the value of forums like this.

Whilst we normally use CC sites in UK, and therefore have access to those commercial sites also listed by them, we find a good way to get information is to e-mail the local Tourist Office ahead of our trip, and generally they are very helpful, We have foudn several 'municpal' type sites that way, which are not generally advertised. This has produced some great places to stay/ visit

The other info I generally ask for is access toPublic transport from the sites. In fact, even for CC sites I will ofen e-mail the local Tourist Office for this and my expereince is very positive, to the extent we often get timetables sent, or links to the appropriate internet sites.

Hi,

It really seems strange that i can get any number of campsite/aires/stelplatz guides both in book form or on CD/DVD or download POI for europe even eastern Europe etc. but there doesnt appear to be any for the UK independently owned campsites ?? surely this must be a opening for some budding entrepreneur as the only one that seems to exist is the link above for the campsite with sea views,

Brian

C&CC book has 230 pages of sites with approx 20 sites per page, so around 4600 sites in total, which includes around 140 sites in Ireland, plus one page approx 75 of M/A road 'night halts' and 95 pages devoted to club sites.

Club sites have a page each with photo, directions and local attractions. Listed/Certified sites have small entry which gives contact, directions and facilities. There is also a 'bookmark' which has OS sheet map and facilities guide.

Sites are listed by OS map number and include grid ref. and post code to help find, also there is a map at back with a dot for sites,and a town index. The only recomendations are a 'red H' for hide away sites ( usualy small certified sites) and a 'star' when recommended by several members.

It is not a 'this site is recommended by' type book but more a fairly comprehensive listing of sites, it suits my style of touring, which means sometimes you end up on a site you will never want to return to (but hey your in a campervan move on next night), other times you find some cracking good small sites that you stay at longer than you intended.

Thanks Colin and Twooks

Sounds like a good reason to join the C&CC, But it does seem very funny that there doesn't appear to be a book dedicated to Commercial Campsites in the UK ? i have a small book which was given away free sometime ago with one of the major magazines which helps, but i would think it only covers a very very small percentage of the actual commercial sites that are available, I have emailed the UK Campsite web and asked them if i can purchase a copy of their listing on CD or DVD as i think it would be really useful if you could use the facility they have without being on line, if i get a reply i will post it on hear just in case anyone else is interested

the commercial [ie non CC C&CC sites] only seem to have listings for their group. There is this site http://www.kwikbreaks.co.uk/ and the AA and Alan Rogers do UK versions of their [more popular ?] European guides.

We haven't done much UK camping for a couple of years - but have found that the C&CC guide is good, it is only published every other year tho. If you want to check an old one [try before you buy!] let me know Brian

B-)

Archived