Heated mirrors on a Hymer

StuartO

My 2006 (Fiat X244) HymerMH came with electrically adjustable outside mirrors, which I never really ever adjusted once they were set for me and one stopped working after a while anyway - so I spotted some new replacement heated mirrors on EBay for £23 each (for compatible mirror and housing) and decided to fit them as replacements.

Swapping the mirrors over was straight forward enough; the front cover levers off easily and then it's just a question of undoing the clamp bolts which fasten the mirror on to the 30mm vertical bracket tubes.  The electrics for the adjustable mirror motors simply unplug from the back of the mirror.

I decided to reuse the cabling for the electrical adjustment for the heat mirror power supply, rather than struggle to re-run fresh cabling down the mirror bracket tubes and into the MH.  The existing cabling was only light but by combining the six available cores of light cabling into two sets of three I reckoned it would serve for the higher current of the heated mirror supply.  I took care to match the colour combinations of the groupings on the left and right sides.

The cable run from the mirrors ran within the engine compartment to a couple of identical white multipin connectors to the single cable through the dashboard to the mirror adjustment switch, near the steering wheel.  It was necessary to reconfigure the wiring of this cable at the two multipin connectors in the engine compartment to ensure that my two-groups-of-three adapted coloured cores was maintained along the full length.

At the dashboard end I had already disconnected and removed the mirror control switch and I also cut the wires coming from the mirrors and combined them into the same two groups of three cores used at the mirrors.  The power supply to this switch (a red cable) was disconnected and isolated because it would not be reused but the brown cable, quite a thick one, which had served as the earth return was connected to one of the groups of three cable coming from the mirrors.

The X244 Fiat dashboard on my MH has a spare switch for a non-existant heated rear window (and also serves for heated door mirrors, if fitted) so the circuit incorporates a relay and three fuses.  So cable supplying the non-existant heated rear window (fused at 15 amps) would be ideal for my new heated mirrors if only I could find it.

And I did manage to locate it (a brown cable with a green stripe) at an unused multipin connector located just above the passenger side fuse board.  I simply operating the dashboard switch with the ignition on and tested with a voltmeter to locate it.  This brown/green cable was downstream of the relay and fuse for the 15 amp supply for a non-existant heated rear window so it would be perfectly adequate for my new mirrors.

I ran a single core supply cable from this brown/green cable across the dashboard to the position of the (former) mirror adjustment switch and connected it to the second group of three cables from the new mirrors.

I double checked the wiring revisions I have made to group the original mirror cabling into two groups of three and also connected an ammeter temporarily into the circuit before going live.  The new heated mirrors were drawing 10 amps, which was OK.

The cable connections near where the adjustable mirror control had been located were pushed through the hole out of sight below the dashboard and the hole where the control switch had been was tidied up using a 20 mm blanking grommet to make a nice neat job.

I now have heated outside mirrors instead of electrically adjustable ones and a redundant mirror adjustment control switch and one serviceable adjustable outside mirror, which I shall dispose of via EBay.

• 2 weeks later...

I bounced thsi thread because having driven through heavy rain yesterday, I'm not sure the heated mirrors were any good!

The switch on the panel does automatically time out and I will have to chack that the circuit is still OK but it wasn't clear that the heated mirrors heated at all.  Maybe it's not worth the bother swapping!

If it's a case of one driver electric adjustable mirrors are a bit of an extravagance but normally they come heated as well which can be a god send. I have an old E series Hymer and the Fiat electronics have always been a bit doggy. Every year I remove the mirror switches as they start to play up, clean them with an electrical contact cleaner then a short squirt of Vaseline and hey presto mirrors heated and adjustable again. As you say all down to lack of use.

keninpalamos - 2017-03-03 2:03 PM

If it's a case of one driver electric adjustable mirrors are a bit of an extravagance but normally they come heated as well which can be a god send. I have an old E series Hymer and the Fiat electronics have always been a bit doggy. Every year I remove the mirror switches as they start to play up, clean them with an electrical contact cleaner then a short squirt of Vaseline and hey presto mirrors heated and adjustable again. As you say all down to lack of use.

hi ,we have an old 95 E510 and driver,s mirror only goes up and down and passenger one only goes left and right !

is this normal or should both have full movement ?

didn,t know they were heated ,maybe not on our model as i don,t see a switch for it

Both mirrors should go up, down, left & right and are heated Heater switch should the middle top square one on the 6 switch cluster but because Fiat switches are rubbish mirror direction never works unless I clean the switch contacts internally and that only works for a few months then gives up again. The square switches are usually ok. It's the heater element on the back of the glass mirror that goes first but can be replaced. I don't think it's possible to get a replacement mirror adjustment switch anymore. If you do, let me know.

Archived