Britstops

tonyg3nwl

Hi Folks, Just received the next britstops book.

once again it identifies locations by postcode only, not by Lat Long data.. shame as postcodes are not always close enough, but understand the anount of work that it would take to add the data.

France passion last year managed to add lat long details, so maybe britstops might do so in future.

I also note that there are a large number of locations listed as Pubs.. just wonder how that sits with dont drink and drive recommendations. Just remember even if you are sleeping it off in the carpark, there is still the possibilitym of the law watching you. And technically if you have the keys in your possession, you could be charged so be careful.

enjoy the stopovers, and thanks to the authors. A lot of work

tonyg3nwl

There are quite a few sources of information about campsites and overnight stops in UK and although I looked at Britstopsa few years ago when it was being promoted at a Show, I didn't feel it was worth bothering with at the time and I haven't really re-evaluated it since then. 

How many locations which aren't otherwise available do you get for your money from Britstops these days?

tonyg3nwl - 2017-02-23 10:34 AM

...France passion last year managed to add lat long details, so maybe britstops might do so in future...

tonyg3nwl

Historically, France Passion (FP) claimed that GPS coordinates were not supplied for FP sites because the site-owners insisted that - for privacy reasons - they should not be. However, from 2014 onwards the France Passion guidebook has included GPS site-coordinates.

This earlier thread refers:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/France-Passion-2014-GPS-Coordinates/34365/

I have never used Britstops but in this country I use the Campaign for Real Ale Good Beer Guide. If I am going somewhere I do not know I find pubs that look as though they are suitable and ring them and ask. Village pubs seem to be on the decline and they usually welcome the trade if they have a decent sized car park, Instead of paying for a campsite I spend money on meals and drink and have stayed in some delightful places.

They might say no but often suggest somewhere else or you can usually just find another pub in the Guide.

https://shop.camra.org.uk/good-beer-guide-2017.html

Mick Bajcar

and, yes, I do have a beard :-)

Mick Bajcar - 2017-02-23 12:35 PM

I have never used Britstops but in this country I use the Campaign for Real Ale Good Beer Guide. If I am going somewhere I do not know I find pubs that look as though they are suitable and ring them and ask. Village pubs seem to be on the decline and they usually welcome the trade if they have a decent sized car park, Instead of paying for a campsite I spend money on meals and drink and have stayed in some delightful places.

They might say no but often suggest somewhere else or you can usually just find another pub in the Guide.

https://shop.camra.org.uk/good-beer-guide-2017.html

Mick Bajcar

and, yes, I do have a beard :-)

Likewise never had a problem staying overnight (after asking) in a pub carpark after having a meal and drinks etc. as long as you choose a pub with a reasonable size car park.

Archived