Sky Viewing cards

Randonneur

I have a Sky digibox but no card, I have read about a non subscription service from Sky that cost £20 for a card, does anyone have the link to obtain one of these cards so that we are able to get not only the free to air channels but channel 4 and 5 also.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hi,

Contact Sky at 08706 061111. Ask for a Freesat Card, cost is a one off payment of £20.

They will post to a UK address, on receipt you then telephone them to activate. Make sure that you tell them that the card is for a motorhome otherwise they will expect the box to be connected to a BT line.

Unfortunately you cannot receive either channel 4 or 5 with this card.

Merry Christmas.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Bazza454 - 2006-12-22 12:33 PM Hi, Contact Sky at 08706 061111. Ask for a Freesat Card, cost is a one off payment of £20. They will post to a UK address, on receipt you then telephone them to activate. Make sure that you tell them that the card is for a motorhome otherwise they will expect the box to be connected to a BT line. Unfortunately you cannot receive either channel 4 or 5 with this card. Merry Christmas.

You can receive channels 4 and 5, at least you can on my Pace box with my £20 card. When you first connect they may not appear but if you leave it switched on, during the early hours of the morning Sky sends a signal which activates them.

Hi, I believe that is the only reason for having the card is to receive channels 4 & 5 and a few others, I thing to comply with the terms and conditions of use you aren't allowed to use the card outside of the UK, so double check before you make any mistakes ?

hope this helps

Guest Frank Wilkinson
enodreven - 2006-12-22 2:22 PM Hi, I believe that is the only reason for having the card is to receive channels 4 & 5 and a few others, I thing to comply with the terms and conditions of use you aren't allowed to use the card outside of the UK, so double check before you make any mistakes ? hope this helps

I think that you are right technically, but I use mine on the Continent without any problem. I'm a law-abiding type normally but whether my dish is in France when receiving its signal as opposed to Bognor, seems to me to be irrelevent. It's all from the same satellite after all!

I too have one have of these cards and have used it regulary in Europe receiving all my local channels as if at home. When you initially activate it, it will give you all the channels local to the postcode it is registered at. Then when you take the box and card abroad it will give you exactly the same channels as if you where still at home ie local Look North news if thats what you get at home. You don't need to ever be connected to a telephone line, but must be connected to a dish with the power on, if not after several weeks they "turn off" some of the channels that you would normally receive, it only takes a quick call to Sky to re activate though. I found that out when I was in France the first time!! Its well worth doing though.

When you ring for your card make sure the 'phone you are calling from is in the UK - they can tell!

You will need the details of the sky box you are using. - Press services then select system set up then system details - this will now give you the make of box and the serial No. You will also need to give a credit card number for them to set up your a/c.

It is worth noting that sky change the viewing cards on occasion, for security purposes, and a new one will be issued free to the same address if it is changed within about 12 months of you purchasing one.

If your sky box has not been used and powered off for a while the software could be out of date - it is a good idea before inserting the new card to force a dowmload of the latest software for your box. To do this: 1) Make sure you have a signal. 2) disconnect the power. 3)whilst pressing "back up" on the box (not the remote) restore the power - keep holding "back up" for a few seconds when you will see all the lights come on on the box. ( now remove finger from "back up") A message will appear on the screen asking you to wait as the download can take about 10 mins. Eventually the lights will go out and the box will go to standby. Power off again and back on after 30 seconds. - Job done - you can now put in your nice new card.

One last thing - these viewing cards are "kept alive" by receiving a signal periodically from sky. If you don't maintain power and signal to them you could find that they have gone dead - sometimes they come back if you leave them powered up for a couple of days but also sometimes you have to ring sky to reactivate them -FROM THE UK!

Hi, FrankI always leave my sky card at home when i travel to France ??
Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-22 2:49 PM
enodreven - 2006-12-22 2:22 PM Hi, I believe that is the only reason for having the card is to receive channels 4 & 5 and a few others, I thing to comply with the terms and conditions of use you aren't allowed to use the card outside of the UK, so double check before you make any mistakes ? hope this helps

I think that you are right technically, but I use mine on the Continent without any problem. I'm a law-abiding type normally but whether my dish is in France when receiving its signal as opposed to Bognor, seems to me to be irrelevent. It's all from the same satellite after all!

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Enodreven wrote:

I always leave my sky card at home when i travel to France

I'm just curious - why do you leave it at home and is it a fully-fledged Sky card or just the £20 one?

I'm not sure why Sky doesn't like it and I can't see how it can be immoral to download a signal from a satellite in France as opposed to in the U.K.

It's the same satellite, you're just in a slightly different position! I consider myself a really honest person but I just can't see any harm in using the card abroad for a few weeks a year.

Frank, its the £20 one and while i agree with you, i do beleive it is something to do with (in the £20 licence case) the restrictions placed upon channels 4 & 5 broadcasting licences in that the government/licence issuers place a restriction on the broadcasting area. I think their licence only allows then to broadcast within the UK, ?? but i could be wrong ??

Archived