French Aires

Richard J

Hi All,

We are planning to take our Swift Lifestyle Motorhome to Spain via Eurotunnel this July. I plan to do about 300 miles into France the first evening,so we should be around the area of Chaumont on the A5 by about 02:00 - 03:00 in the morning. Can anybody help me with the etiquette when wanting to arrive on an Aire in the early hours of the morning.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Richard

Richard J - 2017-02-24 10:55 PM

Hi All,

We are planning to take our Swift Lifestyle Motorhome to Spain via Eurotunnel this July. I plan to do about 300 miles into France the first evening,so we should be around the area of Chaumont on the A5 by about 02:00 - 03:00 in the morning. Can anybody help me with the etiquette when wanting to arrive on an Aire in the early hours of the morning.

Richard

You will be lucky to find a place on an AIRE at time of day! and in July.Depending on what time you arrive in France, probably better to stay closer to your arrival point!

Look for a big free aire and if you can't get in just park next to it. The French aren't like us at all, they like Motorhomes and as long as you're not causing an obstruction you should be fine.. Or you could park in a supermarket carpark, again I'm sure they won't mind.

We once parked in an Aire that was closed for a Sunday market the following day, a man approached us and very politely ask us if we wouldn't mind moving a few metres, he thanked us for doing so. Imagine that in the UK, you'd just get a ticket from a jobsworth

The Aires close to main transit routes and those near popular tourist areas and towns get full, sometimes by late afternoon, but the more remote ones will often still have space overnight.

I also think you can just park up close to an Aire if it's full or in a Town square or cark park if you are just resting for a few hours overnight.

Richard J - 2017-02-24 11:21 PM

Thanks,that was one of my concerns. Are there any sites you can book and pay for in advance and then arrive very late ?

Richard

Most sites usually have gates, and close by midnight. Supermarkets would probably be Ok, just park on the edge away from where the shoppers would park, though you would probably be away early.

Personaly we always aim to arrive in France at a reasonable time, as we don't tend to drive at night any way. As we have friends who live between Cherbourg and Caen, not a problem , as they are our first and last contact from ferry, and the ferry times suit us. Fast Cat portsmouth to Cherbourg 3 hours

PJay

There’s a large free aire at Bergues (no services) about 30 miles SE of the Tunnel Terminal. This would be in your general direction of travel. It does get busy but there’s usually room if you don’t mine squeezing up. It’s the one we use to and from France if we are east of Paris. As for etiquette, cause as little disturbance as possible and you’ll be fine. There are often motorhomes leaving/arriving for/from the ferries/tunnel.

I appreciate this location is not near Chaumont, it’s just a suggestion.

Cattwg :-D

Richard J - 2017-02-24 11:55 PM

Hi All,

Richard

You wont be very popular turning up at that time in the morning, just imagine some body turning up out side your house in a wagon at that time. The French usually retire quite early ..now in Spain that is a different story they are just getting started then ...lol

Brian K

Go as far as you want on your route until you decide you've gone far enough and would like a kip.

Look on your Tablet or phone at - www.campercontact.com - and see which Aire is nearest.

Go to Aire, pull up, turn off the engine and have a sleep.

Motorhomes turn up at all times of the day and night on Aires and unless you make a hell of a noise no-one will notice you arrive.

Enjoy the holiday - but don't disturb me!

Spireite - 2017-02-25 6:21 PM

Go as far as you want on your route until you decide you've gone far enough and would like a kip.

Look on your Tablet or phone at - www.campercontact.com - and see which Aire is nearest.

Motorhomes turn up at all times of the day and night on Aires and unless you make a hell of a noise no-one will notice you arrive.

The only problem being that JULY is peak holiday time in France, so aires and any place that is FREE will be full of French vans!

PJay

PJay - 2017-02-25 6:44 PM

Spireite - 2017-02-25 6:21 PM

The only problem being that JULY is peak holiday time in France, so aires and any place that is FREE will be full of French vans!

PJay

True enough Pauline, but don't forget one other important part of "etiquette des camping-cars:" that there's always room for just one more! Just look at the grass verges in those Alpine passes on TV during the Tour de France!

They certainly weren't full last July when we were in France.

You'll be very unlucky not to get on any Aire in the area the OP is going.

If CamperContact hasn't any in the area have a look at - www.airecampingcar.com

Luv the big letters to emphasis.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies,very helpful. I think I will just drive until I have had enough, or running low on fuel, then pull into the nearest village, park up for a few hours before resuming our journey to Spain. On our return journey we will be more casual and spend time enjoying some French towns, villages and countryside.

Thanks again,

Richard

If you are going to make a pit-stop, I notice that there are several service and rest areas on the A5 nearish to Chaumont where you should be able to park for a few hours. Although it’s generally advised that doing this is ‘risky’, as long as you take reasonable care (like locking the vehicle doors!) I think the chances of there being problems will be very small if you aren’t going to stop until 2am or 3am.

Otherwise forget aires/campsites and park in a reasonably-sized village as you’ve suggested doing.

Richard J - 2017-02-25 9:20 PM

I think I will just drive until I have had enough, or running low on fuel, then pull into the nearest village, park up for a few hours before resuming our journey to Spain.

As my son would say "Sounds like a plan". Hope you have a good trip.

Cattwg :-D

One thing the French seem to get right is roadside signing. ie Finding a supermarket is far better than the Uk

Looking for an overnight stop in a village follow signs to the village stadium, piscine or leisure centre where there will be a large empty car park.

Only been disturbed once I think it was Moldane ready to cross the Alps on the morning. It was over the top of the trans alpine rail tunnel with regular goods trains that have to sound their horn leaving or entering the tunnel. We found another car park at 2.am.

Richard J - 2017-02-25 9:20 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies,very helpful. I think I will just drive until I have had enough, or running low on fuel, then pull into the nearest village, park up for a few hours before resuming our journey to Spain. On our return journey we will be more casual and spend time enjoying some French towns, villages and countryside.

Thanks again,

Richard

I think thats as good an option as any. IF its 3am and just a transit anywhere will do but keep off the motorway service stations. Its rubbish that all Aires will be full in July as well, you just need to pick an out of the way one. The etiquette for me would be to be as quick and quiet as possible. Maybe make beds up if you have to before you arrive. Drive in, switch off, go to bed. It never ceases to amaze and annoy me how much faffing about and clattering motorhomers do when they pull up next to you late on.

Dozens of Motorhomes turn up long after nightfall at Honfleur, stay all night and b*gger off without paying - usually French vans - but not all.

We went to bed well after 1am at an Aire near Pyla dune and woke up at 8 to find an identical MH parked alongside us - the French owner keen to tap our knowledge of a part that had broken on her cooker - and with a drop or two of rouge inside us and a clear conscience we hadn't heard them arrive.

Use common sense, don't slam doors and everyone's happy.

We are going just over the border from Perpignan, the most direct route is via Paris, but I don't fancy that, so i'm taking the slightly longer but more sraightforward route, Reimes, Troyes,Lyon,Perpinan then over the border into Spain.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Richard

• 2 months later...
What ever you do DO NOT park on any MOTORWAY Aire.Not worth the risk, came across somebody in March this year (2017) doing sort of what you are doing, drove till they had done too much........ decided to call it a day or should I say night pulled into a Motorway aire went to sleep woke up after they had been robbed. This happened not the gassing myth just 100% true that's all. Take care. *-)

Archived